Calculating centrifugal forces

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the effect of centrifugal force on each cell of a spinning droplet. The formula F= Mass * angular velocity square * radius gave a large number, making it difficult to determine the mistake. The speaker is wondering if a general method based on density or viscosity can be used instead. They also mention an equilibrium between centrifugal force and surface tension, but are unsure of what went wrong in the principles.
Ameer Alhilo
hello everyone
I have spinning droplet. I want to calculate the effect of centrifugal force on each cell of the droplet.
If I use

F= Mass * angular velocity square * radius

That gave big number and it is like the whole droplet rotation around that radius. It's looks easy but I really stuck with it

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cell in a lattice simulation? Did you use the mass of the water within that cell and the corresponding radius?
If the mistake is somewhere else, it is hard to tell where with the given information.

What does "That gave a big number" mean? Show your working?

mfb said:
Cell in a lattice simulation? Did you use the mass of the water within that cell and the corresponding radius?
If the mistake is somewhere else, it is hard to tell where with the given information.
thanks for respond
it's hard to find and calculate for each cell. so I am looking for a general way to calculate that effect my be base on density or viscosity?

CWatters said:
What does "That gave a big number" mean? Show your working?

thanks for respond
l have equilibrium between centrifugal force and surface tension. while the first between 1 and 2 the second around 0.03 to 0.04. so there is something wrong in the principles!

With the given information I don't see how we could figure out what went wrong.

FAQ 1: What is a centrifugal force?

A centrifugal force is a fictitious or apparent force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path, away from the center of rotation. It arises due to the tendency of an object to continue moving in a straight line, even when it is constrained to move in a circular path.

FAQ 2: How is centrifugal force calculated?

To calculate centrifugal force, you need to know the mass of the object, its velocity, and the radius of its circular path. The formula for centrifugal force is F = m*v^2/r, where F is the centrifugal force, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius.

FAQ 3: What is the difference between centrifugal and centripetal force?

Centrifugal and centripetal forces are often confused, but they are actually opposite forces. Centrifugal force is the outward force acting on an object moving in a circular path, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

FAQ 4: How does centrifugal force affect objects on Earth?

On Earth, centrifugal force is often negligible compared to the force of gravity. However, it can still have an impact on objects in motion, such as causing objects on a spinning carousel to feel like they are being pushed outwards. In extreme cases, such as with fast-moving satellites, centrifugal force can become a significant factor.

FAQ 5: Can centrifugal force be greater than gravity?

No, centrifugal force cannot be greater than gravity. Centrifugal force is a result of inertia and the tendency of objects to move in a straight line, while gravity is a fundamental force of attraction between objects with mass. In most cases, gravity will always be the dominant force.