Calculating Change in Internal Energy: A Steam Engine's Performance

In summary, the steam engine pulling 8 cars of 1kg each initially has a velocity of 0m/s and reaches 4m/s in 4 seconds while traveling a distance of 5.3 meters. It takes in 134J of heat and the change in internal energy is 62J. However, using the work/kinetic energy theorem to calculate the work done gives the correct answer, bypassing the use of average acceleration to calculate force. The distance covered during the 4 seconds is not consistent with constant acceleration, indicating that a is not constant and using a_average to calculate force is not accurate enough.
jmb07
A steam engine of 1kg pulls 8 cars of 1kg each. The velocity of the engine is 0m/s initially then gets up to 4m/s in a time of 4 s while moving a distance of 5.3 meters. During that time, the engine takes in 134J of heat. What is the change in internal energy?

Ok so i know that:
internal energy= Q + W
and, W=Fd
and, F=ma

so, (8x1kg)(4m/s/4s) = 8 N = F
also, W= (8N)(5.3m) = 42.4
so, internal energy = 134 J + (-42.4) = 91.6

However, the correct answer is about 62, what am i doing wrong?? It seems like the steps would make sense to get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total mass of the system is more than 8 kg.

oops! so it would be 9 kg?? Even then, the answer would still be incorrect...

i realized i have to use the work/kinetic energy theorem...i got it! thanks!

If I use the change in kinetic energy of the train to calculate the work done, I get the right answer. Doing so bypasses using the average acceleration to calculate the force.

The hint that you should not do the latter thing comes from the fact that the distance covered during the 4 s is NOT consistent with constant acceleration at 1 m/s^2 suggesting that a is not constant and that calculating force using a_average won't be good enough.

Related to Calculating Change in Internal Energy: A Steam Engine's Performance

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles. It is a measure of the system's thermal energy and is related to the temperature and molecular structure of the system.

2. How is internal energy different from heat?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system, while heat is the transfer of energy between two systems due to a temperature difference. Internal energy can change due to heat transfer, but it also includes other forms of energy such as chemical and nuclear energy.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by the temperature, pressure, and composition of the system. It also depends on the type of interactions between the particles in the system, such as attractive or repulsive forces.

4. How is internal energy measured?

The internal energy of a system can be measured indirectly by measuring changes in temperature, pressure, or volume, and then using equations such as the ideal gas law or the first law of thermodynamics to calculate the change in internal energy.

5. What is the significance of internal energy in thermodynamics?

Internal energy is a crucial concept in thermodynamics as it is a fundamental property of a system that helps us understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed within a system. It is also used to define important thermodynamic quantities such as enthalpy and entropy.