Calculating Change in Kinetic Energy for a Collision on a Frictionless Air Table

In summary, the problem involves two pucks colliding on a frictionless, horizontal air table. After the collision, puck A has a velocity of 0.125 m/s to the left, and puck B has a velocity of 0.655 m/s to the right. The initial velocity of puck A is found to be 0.818 m/s. The problem requires finding the change in the total kinetic energy of the system during the collision. The solution involves using the equation KE=(1/2)mv^2 to calculate the initial and final kinetic energies, and then finding the difference between them. There may be errors in the calculation, such as not considering the negative velocity of puck A, or not accounting for significant digits
Elissa

Homework Statement

On a frictionless, horizontal air table, puck A (with mass 0.250 kg ) is moving toward puck B (with mass 0.360 kg ), that is initially at rest. After the collision, puck A has a velocity of 0.125 m/s to the left, and puck B has velocity 0.655 m/s to the right.

I already solved for the puck's initial velocity, which is 0.818m/s. Now I have to find the change in the total kinetic energy of the system that occurs during the collision.

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

KE(initial)=(1/2)(0.250kg)(0.818m/s)^2=0.0805J
KE(final)=(1/2)(0.250kg)(0.125m/s)^2+(1/2)(0.360kg)(0.655m/s)^2=0.07917
ΔK=0.0805J-0.07917J=0.00487J.
I tried this both negative and positive, but both are wrong. I don't know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elissa said:
I already solved for the puck's initial velocity, which is 0.818m/s.
Please show your work.

Orodruin said:
Please show your work.
mv=m1v1+m2v2
v=(-(0.125m/s)(0.250kg)+(0.655m/s)(0.360kg))/0.250kg=0.818m/s. This is definitely right because I already submitted the answer and got it correct.

Should the velocity of Puck A be negative when solving for kinetic energy?

Is whatever program you are feeding the answers into sensitive to the number of significant digits?

Elissa said:
KE(initial)=(1/2)(0.250kg)(0.818m/s)^2=0.0805J
This is not numerically correct.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass by the square of its velocity.

How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related because both are measures of an object's motion. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while momentum is the quantity of motion an object has.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved, and no momentum is lost or gained in a closed system.

How does increasing mass affect momentum and kinetic energy?

Increasing mass will increase both momentum and kinetic energy. This is because mass is a factor in calculating both quantities, and a larger mass will result in a larger momentum and kinetic energy.