Calculating Changing Distances: The Mystery of the Moving Innkeeper

In summary, the Mystery Machine is traveling at 55 mph and the innkeeper is standing 500 ft away from the highway. 1 minute later, the distance between them is increasing at a rate of 54.71 mph. This was determined using the formula 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt = 2z dz/dt, with dx/dt being 0 in this case.
Differentiate
The Mystery Machine travels 55 mph down the highway of life. An innkeeper is standing 500 ft from the highway. How fast is the distance between the innkeeper and the Mystery Machine increasing 1 min later?

The answer says it is 54.71 mph.

I got something a bit more than 60 for the mph.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...*(55/60))/(2sqrt((500/5280)^2+(55/60)^2)))*60

I converted everything into miles and miles per min. So I got dy/dt=55/60. 1 min later, y=55/60. x=500ft=500/5280 miles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Differentiate! :smile:

What formula are you using? :confused:

With that question I got the answer to this.
Thanks LOL.
I was using 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/dt = 2z dz/dt

I accidentally put dx/dt as a non zero when it is 0. When I made it 0, I got the right answer XD.

1. What is a "Weird Rate of Change Problem"?

A "Weird Rate of Change Problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a variable that is not constant or linear. This type of problem often involves non-linear functions or changing parameters, making it more challenging to solve.

2. How do you solve a "Weird Rate of Change Problem"?

The key to solving a "Weird Rate of Change Problem" is to first identify the type of function or equation involved. This will help determine the appropriate method or formula to use. It is also important to carefully read and interpret the problem to understand what is being asked. Practice and familiarity with different types of functions and their rates of change can also help in solving these problems.

3. What are some common examples of "Weird Rate of Change Problems"?

Some common examples of "Weird Rate of Change Problems" include exponential growth or decay, logarithmic functions, and problems involving changing rates or parameters. These types of problems can be found in various fields such as physics, economics, and biology.

4. Why are "Weird Rate of Change Problems" important in science?

"Weird Rate of Change Problems" are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena. Many natural processes and real-world situations involve non-linear or changing rates, and being able to analyze and solve these problems can provide valuable insights and predictions.

5. What are some strategies for approaching "Weird Rate of Change Problems"?

Some strategies for approaching "Weird Rate of Change Problems" include breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts, using graphs and visual representations, and considering different scenarios or cases. It can also be helpful to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation or problem to see if they make sense.

Back