Calculating Charge on Capacitor with Decreasing Magnetic Field & Coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of understanding the physical process behind the presence of charge on a capacitor and the source of the voltage across it. The conversation also touches upon the concept of duality of electric fields and the necessity to seek the source of voltage in order to find the charge. It is suggested to start by considering the equation Q = CV and its implication that if there is no voltage, there is no charge.
John123
Homework Statement
A vertical magnetic field decreases at a rate of 94.0 mT/s. A flat circular coil of 810 turns with a 41.0 cm diameter has a 153 uF capacitor across its terminals. If the coil is placed perpendicular to the field.

What is the charge on the capacitor?
Relevant Equations
q = CV

This is where I'm stuck, I have a few equations, but none of them use the right variables of:
R = 20.5cm
C = 153uF
e(the one per time) = 94000T/s
N = 810
Where should I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by understanding the physical process that takes place. Why should there be any charge on the capacitor? Hint: Q = CV says that if there is no V, there is no Q. So where does the V come from?

kuruman said:
You should start by understanding the physical process that takes place. Why should there be any charge on the capacitor? Hint: Q = CV says that if there is no V, there is no Q. So where does the V come from?
I think I disagree that there is no ## V_c ##.
Reasoning:
1. There is an induced field ## E_m ## around the coil such that ## 2πaNE_m ## = emf where a = coil radius, N = no. of turns
and emf = −Ndϕ/dt.
2. Current i must be zero since we can't have ## d(V_c)/dt ## buildup over time.
3. But the net E field in the wire = 0
4. So a static field ## E_s ## must exist in the coil wire = ## −E_m ##.
5. but the circulation of ## E_s = 0 ##.
6. So an equal & opposite ## E_s ## must exist across the capacitor.
7. Therefore the V across C = ## V_c = 2\pi aE_s ## .

Last edited:
rude man said:
I think I disagree that there is no ## V_c ##.
Reasoning:
1. There is an induced field ## E_m ## around the coil such that ## 2πaNE_m ## = emf where a = coil radius, N = no. of turns
and emf = −Ndϕ/dt.
2. Current i must be zero since we can't have ## d(V_c)/dt ## buildup over time.
3. But the net E field in the wire = 0
4. So a static field ## E_s ## must exist in the coil wire = ## −E_m ##.
5. but the circulation of ## E_s = 0 ##.
6. So an equal & opposite ## E_s ## must exist across the capacitor.
7. Therefore the V across C = ## V_c = dE_s ## where d is the capacitor effective gap.
All that is good, but your detailed description gave away what I was attempting OP to see on his own. I never said there is no voltage across the capacitor.
kuruman said:
The hint clearly states "... if there is no V there is no Q ..." The hypothetical statement is undoubtedly true and does not assert that there is no voltage; it just describes one (trivial) aspect of the equation. If OP were to couple this trivial statement with the task to find Q, then OP might understand the necessity to seek the source of V, a direction I pointed at by asking, "Why should there be any voltage across the capacitor?" Perhaps I was too subtle ...

kuruman said:
All that is good, but your detailed description gave away what I was attempting OP to see on his own. I never said there is no voltage across the capacitor.

The hint clearly states "... if there is no V there is no Q ..." The hypothetical statement is undoubtedly true and does not assert that there is no voltage; it just describes one (trivial) aspect of the equation. If OP were to couple this trivial statement with the task to find Q, then OP might understand the necessity to seek the source of V, a direction I pointed at by asking, "Why should there be any voltage across the capacitor?" Perhaps I was too subtle ...
I guess I was too hasty but I had the definite impression that your hint was for 'zero voltage'. You did bold out any in that sentence. OK. Mea culpa.
PS it's only very recently that the concept of duality of E fields was even introduced anywhere in PF as far as I know so I have my doubts that the OP would have hit on it. I think I left a good bit to him/her to contemplate even before attempting the numerical solution.

Likes kuruman

1. How do you calculate the charge on a capacitor with a decreasing magnetic field and coil?

To calculate the charge on a capacitor, you will need to use the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. The capacitance can be calculated by dividing the permittivity of the material between the capacitor plates by the distance between the plates. The voltage can be calculated by using the formula V = -L(dI/dt), where L is the inductance of the coil and dI/dt is the rate of change of current flowing through the coil.

2. How does a decreasing magnetic field affect the charge on a capacitor?

When a magnetic field decreases, the rate of change of current flowing through the coil decreases. This results in a slower rate of change of voltage across the capacitor. As a result, the charge on the capacitor will also decrease.

3. What is the relationship between a decreasing magnetic field and the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil is directly proportional to the magnetic field passing through the coil. Therefore, as the magnetic field decreases, the inductance of the coil also decreases.

4. Can the charge on a capacitor ever be negative with a decreasing magnetic field and coil?

No, the charge on a capacitor can never be negative. This is because the charge on a capacitor is determined by the capacitance and voltage, both of which are always positive values.

5. How can the charge on a capacitor with a decreasing magnetic field and coil be used in practical applications?

The charge on a capacitor with a decreasing magnetic field and coil can be used to power electronic devices, such as flashlights or cameras. It can also be used in circuits to store energy and regulate voltage levels. Additionally, this phenomenon is used in the design of transformers and other electromagnetic devices.