Calculating Clutch Power Transmission at Speed

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power transmitted by a clutch at a particular speed with a coefficient of friction. There is a lack of references in the textbook, but the person offering help suggests using formulas for disc, conical, multi-plate, and centrifugal clutches. The specific problem involves a centrifugal clutch and the question is how to determine the power transmitted at a speed of 600 rev/min with a coefficient of friction of 0.3. The suggested method is to calculate the torque using the frictional force and then use the torque and speed to calculate the power. The questioner is unsure of where the coefficient of friction fits into the calculation.
daredvl
Hi
How do i calculate the power transmitted by a clutch at a particular speed with a coefficient of friction between the shoes and drum?
I can't find any reference in my textbook.:confused:

Cheers

Daredvl

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say that I have any other references than those for disc or conical clutches. Do either of these meet your criteria?

I can add to Fred's offer of help with disc, conical, multi-plate and centrifugal clutches...

brewnog said:
I can add to Fred's offer of help with disc, conical, multi-plate and centrifugal clutches...

Thank you :-)

The problem involves a centrifugal clutch

The question is..

Determine the power transmittedby the clutchwhen speed of rotation is600rev/min. Co-efficient of friction is 0.3.

I have values for force and radius, i just don't know what formula to use or how to calculate the power :cry:

Cheers

Ian

Without having a book in front of me, I would venture that you calculate the torque that is transmitted due to the frictional force and then use the torque and speed to calculate the power.

Coef of friction

FredGarvin said:
Without having a book in front of me, I would venture that you calculate the torque that is transmitted due to the frictional force and then use the torque and speed to calculate the power.

Yes i thought that would be the way but, where does the coefficient of friction fit in?

Cheers

Ian

1. How do you calculate clutch power transmission at speed?

To calculate clutch power transmission at speed, you need to know the engine torque and the transmission gear ratio. The formula for calculating clutch power transmission is: Power transmitted = Engine torque x Gear ratio x Angular velocity of clutch

2. What is the purpose of calculating clutch power transmission at speed?

The purpose of calculating clutch power transmission at speed is to determine the efficiency and performance of the clutch system. It helps in understanding how much power is being transferred from the engine to the wheels, and whether the clutch is operating within its optimal range.

3. How does speed affect clutch power transmission?

Speed plays a crucial role in clutch power transmission. As the speed increases, the clutch must engage and disengage quickly to keep up with the changing engine speed. If the clutch does not engage or disengage at the right time, it can lead to loss of power and damage to the clutch system.

4. Can clutch power transmission be increased by changing the gear ratio?

Yes, changing the gear ratio can increase clutch power transmission. A higher gear ratio means the clutch will have to spin faster to keep up with the engine speed, resulting in more power being transmitted to the wheels.

5. How can you improve clutch power transmission at speed?

To improve clutch power transmission at speed, you can use a more efficient clutch system, such as a multi-plate clutch or a dual-clutch system. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper adjustment of the clutch can also help improve its performance.