Frictional mechanical clutch slip(dry clutch)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat loss during the engagement of a friction clutch, given the input power of the engine, the linear decrease of slip with time, and the engagement process time. The method involves integration of a heat loss equation, but there is confusion about the value of slip at the beginning of engagement and how it affects the calculation. An alternative method is suggested, which involves comparing the energy output from the engine to the energy gained by the car during the time of clutch slipping. The severity of the energy loss depends on the level of throttle application and the duration of clutch slippage.
marellasunny
During the short period of engagement of the friction clutch(say t=1sec),energy is obviously lost as heat.I've been asked to calculate this loss of heat by my teacher.

I've been given:
1.Input power(engine)= 50kW
2.Slip decreases linearly with time
3.Engagement process time,t=1sec

Now,I know how to go about solving the problem. It involves integration of the following eq.:

$$Heat loss=\int_{0second}^{1 second}P_{loss}.dt$$

But,the question is related to the slip of the clutch.Is the slip of the clutch equal to 1 at time t=0(i.e when I start releasing my foot from the clutch pedal and the pressure plate just starts to scrape the flywheel plate)? So,if I were to draw a graph of the slip 's' on the y-axis and time of engagement 't' on the x-axis,I would be drawing a straight line with a negative slope. Also,would the clutch slip when its fully engaged?

This is the equation of slip as a function of engine speeds(THIS I UNDERSTAND):
$$slip=\frac{n_{engine}-n_{output/clutch pressure plate}}{n_{engine}}$$

This is the equation of the slip as a function of the engagement time(I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO PLUG IN HERE):
$$s=-\frac{ds}{dt}t+c$$

s-slip
c-intercept on slip axis (IS c=1??)

Physics news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
Is the slip of the clutch equal to 1 at time t=0?
For the slip equation you wrote, slip = 1 if the car is not moving. I don't know how this helps in calculating heat loss.

An alternative would be to calculate energy output from the engine versus energy gained by the car from initial start with clutch slipping to the time when the clutch stops slipping. With light throttle application and clutch slippage only until a relatively slow speed, the energy loss would be small. With heavy throttle application and clutch slippage until high speed, the energy loss would be much greater.

1. What is frictional mechanical clutch slip?

Frictional mechanical clutch slip, also known as dry clutch slip, is a phenomenon that occurs when the clutch plates do not fully engage, causing a decrease in power transmission between the engine and the transmission. This can lead to a loss of speed and acceleration in a vehicle.

2. What causes frictional mechanical clutch slip?

There are several factors that can cause frictional mechanical clutch slip, including worn or damaged clutch plates, low friction material on the plates, insufficient spring pressure, and oil or grease contamination on the clutch plates.

3. How can frictional mechanical clutch slip be prevented?

To prevent frictional mechanical clutch slip, regular maintenance and inspection of the clutch system is important. This includes checking the condition of the clutch plates, ensuring proper lubrication, and adjusting the spring pressure if necessary. It is also important to avoid riding the clutch, which can lead to excessive wear and slippage.

4. Can frictional mechanical clutch slip be fixed?

In most cases, frictional mechanical clutch slip can be fixed by replacing worn or damaged clutch plates and ensuring proper lubrication and spring pressure. However, if there is excessive damage to the clutch components, it may require a complete clutch replacement.

5. Is frictional mechanical clutch slip dangerous?

Frictional mechanical clutch slip can be dangerous as it can cause a loss of control and reduced acceleration in a vehicle. It is important to address any signs of clutch slip to ensure safe and efficient operation of the vehicle.