Calculating Combinations with Constraints

• Thread starter EvilPony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, there are 8008 distinguishable arrangements possible if two pink balls cannot be next to each other, using all 25 balls and distributing them in all possible sizes. This can be modeled using the Einstein solid formula, where the total number of arrangements is equal to the combination of N units of energy and r atoms.
EvilPony
You have 10 pink balls and 15 purple balls. How many distinguishable arrangements are possible if two pink balls cannot be next to each other?

I know the answer is 8008 but I have no idea how to get this

Physics news on Phys.org
are arrangements of any size allowable? ie: 1 ball, 2ball, ... arrangements, or do they have to be a fixed size?

im pretty sure you have to use all 25 every time

I'm on the verge of a solution but the computer lab is closing so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post :frown:, sorry. Hopefully someone else will help out till then.

They must mean arrangements of all possible sizes, since the total number of arrangements of size 25 is much much less than 8008. My method involves breaking the situation into cases based on how big the arrangement is. I will provide more tomorrow. Good luck

-MS

MathStudent is wrong your problem does not mean arrangements of all possible sizes.

The pink balls can not be touching each other so you need if you have 10 pink you need 9 purple.

Now you have 6 purple balls left to distribute and 11 places to put it.

This model is used in the Einstein solid to model the multiplicity of a solid with r atoms and N units of energy to distribute.
[tex]
\Omega = \binom{N+r-1}{r-1}
[/tex]

Related to Calculating Combinations with Constraints

What is a "Quick counting question"?

A "Quick counting question" is a type of question that requires you to count or estimate a numerical value quickly and accurately. These types of questions are often used in math and science fields to test your ability to perform mental calculations.

Why are "Quick counting questions" important in science?

In science, it is important to be able to perform quick and accurate calculations in order to analyze data, make predictions, and solve problems. "Quick counting questions" help scientists develop these skills and apply them in various scientific fields.

What are some strategies for answering "Quick counting questions"?

Some strategies for answering "Quick counting questions" include breaking down the question into smaller parts, estimating the answer before calculating, and using mental math shortcuts such as rounding or using the distributive property.

Can anyone master the skill of answering "Quick counting questions"?

Yes, with practice and dedication, anyone can improve their ability to answer "Quick counting questions". It is important to develop strong mental math skills and to familiarize yourself with different strategies for solving these types of questions.

How can I improve my speed and accuracy when answering "Quick counting questions"?

The key to improving your speed and accuracy when answering "Quick counting questions" is to practice regularly. You can also try using online resources or working with a tutor to learn new strategies and techniques for solving these types of questions.