Calculating Moment of Inertia from Ball Accelerations

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia from a homogeneous ball using a series of accelerations. The ball is released from an incline plane and 5 values of acceleration are measured using a motion sensor, along with the radius and mass of the ball. The speaker is struggling to find a way to calculate the moment of inertia using these given accelerations and is seeking help from others. The conversation ends with a question about the expected acceleration if the moment of inertia were equal to ##kmr^2##.
Jonas
Homework Statement
Find moment of inertia and statistical error given these accelerations.
Relevant Equations
I=1/2*∑m*di^2
Hey guys.
Im trying to figure out how to calculate the moment of inertia from a homogeneous ball based on a series of accelerations.
The ball is released from the top of an incline plane (3.33 deg) and with a motion sensor, 5 values of acceleration where captured . Together with the radius and mass of the ball, this is what i have. Now, i know how to integrate from mass and radius to find the moment of inertia, but here it is supposed to be calculated with the help of these given accelerations, with statistical error. I cannot seem to find a way to do that.
If any of you have an idea, i'd be very thankful!

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the moment of inertia were equal to ##kmr^2## for some value of ##k##, what acceleration would you expect to have measured?

Likes Jonas

What is the concept of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How can moment of inertia be calculated from ball accelerations?

Moment of inertia can be calculated from ball accelerations by using the equation I = MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the ball, and R is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia are kilograms times meters squared (kg*m^2).

Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is also used in many equations and calculations related to rotational motion.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with larger mass, larger size, or more spread out mass will have a higher moment of inertia.