Calculating Correct Voltmeter Reading in a Circuit

In summary, the voltmeter in the given circuit reads 6.2 V, but after applying the relevant equations and simplifying the resistors, it is determined that the correct voltage reading should be 4.389 V. This is due to the voltage being divided among the resistors in the circuit.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

The voltmeter in the figure below reads 6.2 V. If the vs = 12 V and R1 = 560 Ω, R2 = 470 Ω,
R3 = 680 Ω, and R4 = 4.7 kΩ, is the voltmeter reading correct?

Homework Equations

V*Rx/(Ry+Rx)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought the voltage in the voltmeter would equal the voltage across the 4.7kohm resistor

So 12V*4700/(4700+560+470+680)= 8.798 V
So my answer would be no.

Is this correct or am I doing it wrong?

Attachments

• 1f1.png
    1f1.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
So 12V*4700/(4700+560+470+680)= 8.798 V

HUH ?

Do you understand how to reduce series and parallel resistors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes orangeincup
Opps, should it look more like this?

R1+R2=1030 ohms
R3||R4=594 ohms

12 V * 594/(1030+594)= 4.389 V

Which is exactly half of my old answer for some reason.

Now it looks right

Likes orangeincup

Related to Calculating Correct Voltmeter Reading in a Circuit

1. What is a voltmeter reading problem?

A voltmeter reading problem is a situation in which a voltmeter, a device used to measure electrical potential difference, is not providing accurate or expected readings. This can be due to various factors such as circuit malfunctions or incorrect usage of the voltmeter.

2. How can I troubleshoot a voltmeter reading problem?

To troubleshoot a voltmeter reading problem, first check the connections and make sure the voltmeter is correctly connected to the circuit. Then, ensure that the voltmeter is set to the correct range and function. If the problem persists, try using a different voltmeter or consult a professional for further assistance.

3. Why is my voltmeter reading zero?

If your voltmeter is reading zero, it could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure that the voltmeter is properly connected to the circuit and the circuit is functioning. If everything seems to be in order, the problem could be with the voltmeter itself, such as a dead battery or a malfunctioning component.

4. What should I do if my voltmeter readings are fluctuating?

If your voltmeter readings are constantly fluctuating, it could be a sign of a poor connection or a faulty voltmeter. Check the connections and make sure they are secure. If the problem persists, try using a different voltmeter or consult a professional for further assistance.

5. Can a voltmeter reading problem be dangerous?

In most cases, a voltmeter reading problem is not dangerous. However, if the problem is due to a faulty circuit or incorrect usage of the voltmeter, it could lead to electric shocks or damage to equipment. It is important to always follow safety precautions and consult a professional if you are unsure about how to use a voltmeter.