Calculating Cross Section

In summary, the problem involves calculating the cross-section of electron-positron to muon-antimuon scattering. The differential cross-section is given by ##\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{\alpha^2}{4s}(1+\cos^2{\theta})##. The correct answer is ##\sigma=\frac{4\pi\alpha^2}{3s}##, but the initial attempt resulted in ##\sigma=\frac{3\pi\alpha^2}{8s}##. The mistake was in the integration, where ##d\Omega## was incorrectly assumed to be ##d\phi d\theta## instead of ##\sin\theta \;d\
Muh. Fauzi M.

Homework Statement

I have a problem in calculating cross-section in elektron-positron -> muon-antimuon scattering.

Homework Equations

In the relativistic limit, we find the differential cross-section of {e}+{e^-} -> {μ}+{μ^-} is

\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{\alpha^2}{4s}*(1+cos^2{\theta}).

When I integrating over \theta, i get an answer:

\sigma=\frac{3*\pi*\alpha^2}{8*s},

but that is not the correct answer. Due to my reference (Halzen and Martin), the answer should be

\sigma=\frac{4*\pi*\alpha^2}{3*s}.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone help me through this problem? My intuition said I have mistaken the integration. But I've tried to re-integral-ing it, still not come up with correct solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Muh. Fauzi M. said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem in calculating cross-section in electron-positron -> muon-antimuon scattering.

Homework Equations

In the relativistic limit, we find the differential cross-section of ##\ \ {e}^+{e^-} -> {μ}^+{μ^-}## is
$$\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{\alpha^2}{4s}\left (1+cos^2{\theta}\right ) \ .$$
When I integrate over ##\theta##, I get an answer:
$$\sigma=\frac{3\pi\alpha^2}{8s}\ ,$$
but that is not the correct answer. Due to my reference (Halzen and Martin), the answer should be
$$\sigma=\frac{4\pi\alpha^2}{3s}\; .$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone help me through this problem? My intuition sais I have mistaken the integration. But I've tried to re-integrate it, still not come up with correct solution.
Hello,

Is ##d\Omega## just ##d\theta## or has ##\phi## something to do with it too ?

Anyway, show your steps in detail, please. That makaes it easier to follow and point out where things may go wrong...

BvU said:
Hello,

Is ##d\Omega## just ##d\theta## or has ##\phi## something to do with it too ?

Anyway, show your steps in detail, please. That makaes it easier to follow and point out where things may go wrong...

Hello Mr., thank you for your respond.

In my first reference (Halzen and Martin), the instructor is to integrate over ##\theta## and ##\phi##. Here is my doodling:

$$ \sigma = \frac{\alpha^2}{4s}\int{(1+cos^2{\theta})}d\theta d\phi $$

Substituting the trigonometry identity,

$$ \sigma = \frac{\alpha^2}{4s} \int {\frac{(3+cos{2\theta})}{2}} d\theta d\phi $$.

Dividing the integration,

$$ \int 3 d\theta d\phi , \quad \int {cos{2\theta}}d\theta d\phi $$

and integrating from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ## for ##\theta##, ##0## to ##2\pi## fpr ##\phi##. The second term is vanish, so I have

$$ \int 3 d\theta d\phi=3(\pi)(2\pi)$$.

Thus, when inserting to ## \sigma ##, I have

$$ \sigma = \frac{3\pi^2\alpha^2}{4s} $$.

Using my second ref (Schwartz), the integration just applied over ##\theta## and I get

$$ \sigma = \frac{3\pi\alpha^2}{8s}$$.

Which step do I miss?

If I remember well, ##d\Omega \ne d\phi d\theta ## because then you would end up with ##2\pi^2## where you expect ##4\pi## . Wasn't it ##d\Omega = \sin\theta \;d\theta d\phi ## ?

BvU said:
If I remember well, ##d\Omega \ne d\phi d\theta ## because then you would end up with ##2\pi^2## where you expect ##4\pi## . Wasn't it ##d\Omega = \sin\theta \;d\theta d\phi ## ?
Speechless. That's true Mr. Thank you very much. (shy)

What is a cross section?

A cross section is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object or area. It is a slice or cut through an object, showing the internal structure or composition.

Why is calculating cross section important in science?

Calculating cross section allows scientists to understand and analyze the internal structures of objects and areas, which can provide valuable information for research and experimentation. It also allows for the comparison and measurement of different objects or areas.

How is cross section calculated?

Cross section can be calculated by measuring the area of the slice or cut and dividing it by the length or width of the object or area. In some cases, more complex mathematical equations may be used to calculate cross section.

What is the unit of measurement for cross section?

The unit of measurement for cross section will depend on the object or area being measured. It could be in square meters, square inches, or any other unit of area.

What are some real-world applications of calculating cross section?

Calculating cross section is used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, architecture, medicine, and physics. It can be used to design and construct buildings, analyze medical images, and understand the behavior of particles in physics experiments.