How to calculate total cross section from differential cross section

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding the total cross section for a cylinder using the expression \frac{d\sigma}{d\phi} and how to go from there to the absolute value squared. The solution involved multiplying the summation by its complex conjugate and using different dummy indices for the summations. This helped cancel out terms and led to the final solution. The conversation ended with gratitude for the assistance provided.
svletana
I was doing the calculations for this: http://fermi.la.asu.edu/PHY531/cylinder/index.html
But I can't figure out how to go from [itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\phi}[/itex] to the total cross section. My guess was that you did the integral from [itex]\phi=0[/itex] to [itex]\phi=2\pi[/itex], but that's not helping since I can't tell either how they got the absolute value squared inside the sum..

Thanks for anyone who listens :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had to find the absolute value squared of the expression, what would you have to do? Answer: Multiply the summation by its complex conjugate. Do it, integrate and see what you get. Don't forget to use different dummy indices for the summations.

kuruman said:
If you had to find the absolute value squared of the expression, what would you have to do? Answer: Multiply the summation by its complex conjugate. Do it, integrate and see what you get. Don't forget to use different dummy indices for the summations.
That helped a lot, thanks! I can see now how with that you can make the terms with cos(nx)*cos(mx) with m=/=n cancel when you integrate from them being orthonormal :) The rest is history, thank you very much again!

1. What is the formula for calculating total cross section from differential cross section?

The formula for calculating total cross section from differential cross section is:
total cross section = differential cross section * scattering angle / number of incident particles.

2. What is the purpose of calculating total cross section from differential cross section?

The purpose of calculating total cross section from differential cross section is to determine the probability of a particle scattering at a particular angle. This information is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a given environment.

3. How does the scattering angle affect the total cross section?

The scattering angle is directly proportional to the total cross section. This means that as the scattering angle increases, the total cross section also increases.

4. Can total cross section be calculated for all types of particles?

Yes, total cross section can be calculated for all types of particles, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. The formula and method for calculating it may vary depending on the type of particle and the experimental setup.

5. What units are used to express total cross section?

Total cross section is typically expressed in units of area, such as square meters (m2) or barns (10-28 m2). This represents the effective area that a particle will interact with when passing through a medium.