Calculating Current in a Circuit without an Ammeter

In summary, the ammeter reads 5.25 mA when connected in a circuit comtaining a battery and two resistors in series. When the ammeter is absent, the actual current is 2.68 x 10-4A.
saw176

Homework Statement

An ammeter whose internal resistance is 63 ohm reads 5.25 mA when connected in a circuit comtaining a battery and two resistors in series whose values are 750 ohm and 480 ohm. What is the actual current when the ammeter is absent?

Homework Equations

V = IR
Rseries = R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the voltage using the internal resistance of the ammeter and the current:
V = IR
V = 5.25 x 10-3 (63) = 0.33 V

Then I added the two resistances in series to find the total resistance
R = 750 + 480 = 1230 ohm

Then I tried to apply V = IR with the new resistance to find the current
0.33 V = I (1230 ohm)
And get a value of 2.68 x 10-4A, which is not correct (correct answer: 5.52 x 10-3)

I'm not very good at these problems, so I have a feeling I'm doing something silly wrong, thanks for the input!

Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage that you calculated is the voltage that appears across the ammeter when it's in the circuit. It's not helpful when the ammeter is removed...

Instead, can you find the voltage of the battery?

I think I got it! Okay, I went V = 5.25 x 10-3A (480 +750)ohm to get a battery voltage of 6.45 volts. I then added the 0.33 volts that the ammeter was reading to this, to get 6.78 volts. Then, I applied V=IR, 6.78 V = I (1230 ohm) to get the answer 5.52 x 10-3A. This is the correct answer, so I assume my thinking of adding the 0.33 volts the ammeter "took" to the battery voltage was correct? Thanks for your help!

saw176 said:
I think I got it! Okay, I went V = 5.25 x 10-3A (480 +750)ohm to get a battery voltage of 6.45 volts. I then added the 0.33 volts that the ammeter was reading to this, to get 6.78 volts. Then, I applied V=IR, 6.78 V = I (1230 ohm) to get the answer 5.52 x 10-3A. This is the correct answer, so I assume my thinking of adding the 0.33 volts the ammeter "took" to the battery voltage was correct? Thanks for your help!

Well, you got to the answer, but by way of some shifty moves :smile:

An ammeter doesn't read voltage, it reads current. Any voltage that appears across the ammeter is due to that current flowing through the meter's internal resistance (63 Ohms in this case). The battery voltage will be the sum of the voltage drops across all three resistances.

Since all the resistances (including the ammeter) are in series, you can just add them up to find a total resistance. Since the same current flows through all of them you can find the battery voltage by Ohm's law: V = I*R.

Once you know the battery voltage you can always find the current through any resistive load, again using Ohm's law. So you can remove one resistor (the ammeter for example :smile:) and calculate the current that the battery will cause through the remaining resistance.

saw176 said:
You obtained the correct solution but your reasoning is incorrect?
When you multiplied 5.25mA times the sum of the two resistors you tell us "you get a battery voltage of 6.45 volts"
That's not true. That is the voltage drop across those two resistors with the ammeter connected.
To determine the voltage on the battery, you may apply KVL (Kirchoff's Voltage Law), to this circuit (with the ammeter in line).
From KVL: Vbatt = iA(Rint+750+480), where Vbatt is battery's voltage
iA is given = 5.52mA and Rint is given = 63 ohm
So you may then solve for Vbatt.
Once you have Vbatt, you remove the ammeter and solve for current (i) in this circuit
with only the two resistors in series.
Using KVL: Vbatt = i (750+480) so i = Vbatt/(750+480)

Last edited:
Oh okay I see, that makes sense, thanks gneill!

Edit: I see Ouabache's reply now too, you guys are right in pointing out my mistake of assuming the the voltage drop was the voltage of the battery, I knew it seemed kind of fishy but didn't really know what I was doing. Thanks guys!

1. What is the purpose of measuring current without an ammeter?

The purpose of measuring current without an ammeter is to determine the amount of electrical current flowing through a circuit without directly connecting an ammeter to the circuit. This can be useful in situations where it is not possible or safe to use an ammeter, such as in high voltage circuits.

2. How can current be measured without an ammeter?

Current can be measured without an ammeter by using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). By measuring the voltage across a known resistance in the circuit, the current can be calculated using this equation.

3. What are the limitations of measuring current without an ammeter?

The main limitation of measuring current without an ammeter is that it is not as accurate as directly measuring the current with an ammeter. This is because the resistance used in the calculation may not be exact, and small errors in measurement can lead to larger errors in the calculated current value.

4. Why is it important to know the current in a circuit?

Knowing the current in a circuit is important because it helps to determine the power consumption and efficiency of the circuit. It can also help to identify any potential issues or malfunctions in the circuit, as well as ensure that the circuit is operating within safe limits.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring current without an ammeter?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring current without an ammeter, such as using a multimeter set to measure current, or using a clamp meter which can measure current by detecting the magnetic field around a wire. However, these methods may still have limitations and may not be suitable for all situations.