Current through an Ammeter in an Electric Circuit

In summary: The current through the ##10~ohm## resistance is ##100~mA##. So, the potential across the ##10~ohm## resistance is ##1.0~V##.Therefore the potential across the parallel branches must be ##5.0~V##.Since the ##100~ohm## resistance, connected with the ammeter, is made of two equal resistances the potential is equally divided, but same current flows through each component. Giving a value of ##\frac {5.0~V} {100~\Omega}##, i.e., 100 mA.
VSayantan

Homework Statement

I.jpg
[/B]
It is required to find the current through the ammeter, marked A, in the above figure.

Homework Equations

##V=iR##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've redrawn the circuit as follows -
I.jpg

But don't know how to obtain the value ##i_3##

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,094
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,300
Physics news on Phys.org
VSayantan said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 215842[/B]
It is required to find the current through the ammeter, marked A, in the above figure.

Homework Equations

##V=iR##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've redrawn the circuit as follows -
View attachment 215844
But don't know how to obtain the value ##i_3##
Apply loop rule

Likes VSayantan
You are making this a lot harder than it is. What is the relationship between the two 100ohm resistors to the left of the ammeter?

Likes VSayantan
Have you studied Thevenin's theorem?

Likes VSayantan
phinds said:
You are making this a lot harder than it is. What is the relationship between the two 100ohm resistors to the left of the ammeter?

They are connected in parallel.

cnh1995 said:
Have you studied Thevenin's theorem?
Yes.
But it needs two terminals, right?

VSayantan said:
They are connected in parallel.
So, what do you DO with that information ... ?

Likes VSayantan
phinds said:
So, what do you DO with that information ... ?

The equivalent resistance is ##{\frac {100} {2}}\Omega##
But most of the current will flow through the left-most path, since it has no resistance.
I don't know what to do with the ##50 \Omega## resistance.

VSayantan said:
The equivalent resistance is ##{\frac {100} {2}}\Omega##
But most of the current will flow through the left-most path, since it has no resistance.
I don't know what to do with the ##50 \Omega## resistance.
You REALLY want this to be hard, it seems. Try redrawing the circuit, collapsing as many resistances as possible into single resistances.

Likes VSayantan
By the way, here's a hint. In terms of solving this circuit for the current through the ammeter, there are only 3 resistors in the reduced drawing. When you get to where this becomes immediately apparent, you will be well on the way to finding it easy to solve resistive circuits.

Likes VSayantan
VSayantan said:
Yes.
But it needs two terminals, right?
Well, there will be two open terminals if you open circuit the ammeter to find Vth.

But I believe you should follow phinds' suggestion first (he and I posted almost at the same moment). It is a lot easier.

Likes VSayantan
phinds said:
You REALLY want this to be hard, it seems. Try redrawing the circuit, collapsing as many resistances as possible into single resistances.

I.jpg

Is this the reduced circuit?

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,255
VSayantan said:
View attachment 215852
No, the second circuit is the reduced circuit. You can find the ammeter current using simple current division.
What is the resistance of an ammeter, if it is not mentioned in the problem?

Likes VSayantan
VSayantan said:
View attachment 215852
No, you are still missing a valid step (your last step was, as cnh pointed out, invalid). Think about how you could reduce it from 5 resistors to 3 without changing the flow through the ammeter.

Likes VSayantan
cnh1995 said:
No, the second circuit is the reduced circuit. You can find the ammeter current using simple current division.
What is the resistance of an ammeter, if it is not mentioned in the problem?
The resistance of the ammeter is not given. So, I assume it to have zero resistance.
I.jpg

The equivalent resistance of the last circuit is ##60\Omega##?

Then the current through the ##5\Omega## resistance is ##100 mA##

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 874
Likes Merlin3189
Now you're just floundering but you got part way there. This is the circuit you need to validly simplify:
upload_2017-11-30_13-18-17.png

What is the effect on the current through the ammeter if you move the 5 ohm resistor together and the 50 ohm resistors together?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-30_13-18-17.png
    upload_2017-11-30_13-18-17.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,281
Likes VSayantan
phinds said:
Now you're just floundering but you got part way there. This is the circuit you need to validly simplify:
View attachment 215854

What is the effect on the current through the ammeter if you move the 5 ohm resistor together and the 50 ohm resistors together?
I.jpg

Like this?
Then the potential is same because the resistors are all connected in parallel. Right?

Attachments

• I.jpg
    I.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,252
VSayantan said:
View attachment 215857
Like this?
Then the potential is same because the resistors are all connected in parallel. Right?
Correct, but not ALL resistances are in parallel. Now what is the current through the ammeter? You already know the current through the 10 ohm resistance. How will it split between the two parallel branches?

Likes VSayantan
cnh1995 said:
Correct, but not ALL resistances are in parallel. Now what is the current through the ammeter? You already know the current through the 10 ohm resistance. How will it split between the two parallel branches?
I don't think he knows the current through the 10 ohm yet. I believe he will need to compute the total resistance in the circuit to compute that current.

Likes VSayantan
cnh1995 said:
Correct. Now what is the current through the ammeter? You already know the current through the 10 ohm resistance. How will it split between the two parallel branches?

The current through the ##10~ohm## resistance is ##100~mA##.
So, the potential across the ##10~ohm## resistance is ##1.0~V##.
Therefore the potential across the parallel branches must be ##5.0~V##.
Since the ##100~ohm## resistance, connected with the ammeter, is made of two equal resistances the potential is equally divided, but same current flows through each component. Giving a value of ##\frac {5.0~V} {100~\Omega}##, i.e., ##50.0~mA##

Likes Merlin3189 and .Scott
.Scott said:
I don't think he knows the current through the 10 ohm yet.
He does. See #15.

VSayantan said:
The current through the ##10~ohm## resistance is ##100~mA##.
So, the potential across the ##10~ohm## resistance is ##1.0~V##.
Therefore the potential across the parallel branches must be ##5.0~V##.
Since the ##100~ohm## resistance, connected with the ammeter, is made of two equal resistances the potential is equally divided, but same current flows through each component. Giving a value of ##\frac {5.0~V} {100~\Omega}##, i.e., ##50.0~mA##
Looks good.

Likes .Scott and VSayantan
cnh1995 said:
Looks good.

Thanks a lot @cnh1995 and @phinds for guiding me through the problem.

I would love to know how do I solve the problem using Thevenin's theorem.

Do I need to disconnect the ammeter and obtain the equivalent resistance?

VSayantan said:
Do I need to disconnect the ammeter and obtain the equivalent resistance?
Suppose the ammeter terminals are a and b. First, you need to disconnect the ammeter and find the open circuit voltage between the two terminals ( where the ammeter was placed earlier) i.e. Vab.
Then you have to short the voltage source and find the equivalent resistance R between a and b.
Then Vab/R will give you the ammeter current.

Likes VSayantan
VSayantan said:
View attachment 215857
Like this?
No, forget the potential. You are looking for current. The current through the 5ohm restistors HAS to be the same because they are in series and the same for the 50 ohm resistors. Now that you have the simplified circuit, it should be very ease to solve for the current through the ammeter. When you have done this sort of thing for a while, you should be able to go from the original circuit to the final reduced circuit all in one obvious step.

Likes VSayantan
phinds said:
No, forget the potential. You are looking for current. The current through the 5ohm restistors HAS to be the same because they are in series and the same for the 50 ohm resistors. Now that you have the simplified circuit, it should be very ease to solve for the current through the ammeter. When you have done this sort of thing for a while, you should be able to go from the original circuit to the final reduced circuit all in one obvious step.

You explained so easily!

cnh1995 said:
Suppose the ammeter terminals are a and b. First, you need to disconnect the ammeter and find the open circuit voltage between the two terminals ( where the ammeter was placed earlier) i.e. Vab.
Then you have to short the voltage source and find the equivalent resistance R between a and b.
Then Vab/R will give you the ammeter current.

II.jpg

Is it ok?
So, the equivalent Thevenin potential is $$V_{Th} = \frac {6\times 100}{100+10}~V$$
That is $$V_{Th}=5.45~V$$

The equivalent Thevenin resistance is $$R_{Th} = [{\frac {1}{{\frac {1}{10}}+{\frac {1}{100}}}}+50+50]\Omega$$
That is $$R_{Th}=100.909~\Omega$$
I.jpg

Then the current through the ammeter is ##V_{Th}/R_{Th}##?

Attachments

• II.jpg
    II.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 447
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Your calculation of Rth is incorrect. You have (10Ω||100Ω) in series with 100Ω.

Keep Vth and Rth in fractional form (p/q). It will be easier to simplify.

Likes VSayantan
cnh1995 said:
Your calculation of Rth is incorrect. You have (10Ω||100Ω) in series with 100Ω.

Keep Vth and Rth in fractional form (p/q). It will be easier to simplify.
Thanks for pointing out @cnh1995
I typed it wrong.
The current comes out to be $$i=54.009~mA$$
Which is pretty close to ##50~mA##, as obtained previously.

VSayantan said:
The current comes out to be
i=54.009 mAi=54.009 mA​
i=54.009~mA
Which is pretty close to 50 mA50 mA50~mA, as obtained previously.
No, it must be the same as the one obtained previously.
You have Vth=6*100/110 V.
Rth= 100+ (1000/110) ohm.
Simplify and take the ratio.

Likes VSayantan
cnh1995 said:
No, it must be the same as the one obtained previously.
You have Vth=6*100/110 V.
Rth= 100+ (1000/110) ohm.
Simplify and take the ratio.

Oh!
Yes, you are right.

The current is $$i=\frac {600}{110}~V \times \frac {110}{12000}{\Omega}^{-1}$$
i.e., $$i=50.0~mA$$

Likes cnh1995
VSayantan said:
Oh!
Yes, you are right.

The current is $$i=\frac {6000}{110}~V \times \frac {110}{12000}{\Omega}^{-1}$$
i.e., $$i=50.0~mA$$
There's again one typo in your equation, but the final result is correct.

Likes VSayantan
You're still not getting the obvious simplified circuit. Draw the circuit WITH the voltage source AND the ammeter AND 3 resistors, one in series w/ the voltage source, one in series w/ the ammeter and one in the bottom line.

You want to get to the point where when your eyes see this:
ckt1.JPG

Your brain sees this, pretty much automatically
ck2.jpg

That IS of course based on the specific question being answered. This reduction might not be as helpful if you were asked to find the voltage across the left-most resistor (although even for that, I would still do this reduction, get the current in that line and then the voltage)

Attachments

• ckt1.JPG
    ckt1.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 402
  • ck2.jpg
    ck2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Likes VSayantan

1. What is an ammeter and how does it measure current?

An ammeter is a device used to measure the flow of electric current in a circuit. It works by measuring the amount of charge passing through a specific point in the circuit per unit time, and is typically connected in series with the circuit.

2. How do I connect an ammeter in a circuit?

An ammeter should always be connected in series with the circuit, meaning it is placed in line with the current flow. This allows the ammeter to measure the current passing through a specific point in the circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current in an ammeter?

The unit of measurement for current in an ammeter is amperes (A), which is equivalent to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in the circuit per second.

4. Can an ammeter measure both AC and DC current?

Yes, an ammeter can measure both alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC). However, it is important to make sure the ammeter is rated for the type of current being measured, as they may have different measurement ranges and sensitivities.

5. How do I read the measurement on an ammeter?

The measurement on an ammeter is typically read from a scale or digital display. It is important to take note of the units being used and any multipliers that may be applied to the measurement. Additionally, the direction of the current flow should be considered when interpreting the measurement.