Calculating Denting Force for Steel and Aluminum: Formulae for Strength Testing

• Thread starter automengineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and is looking for help finding formulae to calculate the amount of force required to dent 300 x 300, 1mm thick steel and aluminium, as well as the amount of force needed to remove the dent. They have already done practical testing but need to calculate the results. They have tried the Rockwell Hardness test but the numbers were incorrect. They clarify that by "denting" they mean deforming the natural shape of the material. They are looking for formulae to try again.
automengineer
Hi there guys, new to the forum.

I need to find a formulae for denting steel and aluminium. basically i need to work out how much force is require to dent a 300 x 300 and 1mm thick steel and same with aluminium and how much force is require to remove the dent.

practically I've already done the testing for it, but i need to calculate it as well.

if anyone can help that will be a massive appreciation.

cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Define "dent." Before you can calulate anything, you need to specify whether you're talking something like a Rockwell hardness test, or golf-ball sized hail.

hi there, I've already had a go at the Rockwell Hardness test but the numbers come out wrong. what I mean by denting the material is just deforming its natural shape. Have you got those two formulae's so that i can have another go. cheers

Related to Calculating Denting Force for Steel and Aluminum: Formulae for Strength Testing

1. What is a formulae?

A formulae is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between different quantities or variables. It is often used to solve problems and make predictions in various fields of science.

2. Why is it important to find a formulae?

Finding a formulae allows us to understand and quantify the relationship between different variables in a given situation. This can help us make predictions, solve problems, and conduct experiments more efficiently.

3. How do you find a formulae?

Finding a formulae involves analyzing data, identifying patterns, and using mathematical principles to create an equation that accurately describes the relationship between variables. This process may involve experimentation, observation, and collaboration with other scientists.

4. What are some common types of formulae?

There are many types of formulae used in different fields of science, but some common ones include linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and trigonometric equations. These are often used to describe relationships in physics, chemistry, biology, and other sciences.

5. Can formulae change over time?

Yes, formulae can change over time as new research and data become available. In some cases, a formulae may be updated or revised to better fit the data or to account for new variables. However, well-established and widely-used formulae tend to remain unchanged for long periods of time.