Formula to calculate the pull force between a magnet and a steel plate

In summary: BIn summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pull force between a neodymium magnet and a steel plate, both with and without a 0.15mm copper plate between them. The formula for calculating the attraction force is not simple and may vary depending on factors such as magnet type, metal surface type, and distance between the magnet and metal surface. Some resources are provided for further research on this topic.
navin369
TL;DR Summary
need a simple mathematical formula to calculate the pull strength of a neodymium magnet
i have a neobydium magnet of grade n40 , the diameter of magnet is 15mm and thickness is 10 mm ,
now i want to calculate the pull force between this magnet and a steel plate when there is no gap between them ;
& in second case i want to calculate the pull force when i put a 0.15mm copper plate between magnet and steel plate ,
does introducing copper plate reduce the pull strength , and if yes how ?
can you get me a formula by which i can calculate the pull strenth of magnet in the above mentioned conditions
i need a simple mathematical formula

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think a good, off-the-top-of-my-head, approximation of the attraction of a magnet to a metal surface would be:
A = c/d^2; were A= attraction force, c = coupling constant for a any given combination of magnet type and metal surface type (to be determined by experimentation). d = the distance between the magnet and the metal surface. You will need to select the desired units (metric, imperial etc.) and add additional factors to equate the terms.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.aspSimple formula that is accurate? No.
This is an overview with fill in the blank calculator pages. Following links does provide clues as to why it is not simple.

i know this website but my boss wants a mathematical formula that can give the pull force and i can't find it anywhere on internet

As others have mentioned, calculating this force is not so easy, the flux density of the magnet for example will vary according to the load line and the introduced reluctance from the steel.

An easy one though is the copper plate spacer, since PM's are a DC field, the copper with its relative permeability of ~1 simply acts as if it were an air gap.

An approximate calculation can be as follows:

1) calculate the magnetic flux density at distance z on the disc central axis:

B=Br/2*((D+z)/sqrt(R^2+(D+z)^2)-z/sqrt(R^2+z^2))

2) calculate the force

F=B^2*A/2/μo=B^2*A/(8*п)*10^7 [N]

B in T[Wb/m^2] ; A[area] in m^2

Force between magnet and steel plate.jpg

Good morning, i hope you are having a great day. I would like to ask if you have the references for this formula. Thanks!

It seems to me the above link does not allow in 2021 to get the formula. However I got it only this way in 2019!

What is the formula to calculate the pull force between a magnet and a steel plate?

The formula to calculate the pull force between a magnet and a steel plate is F = (μ0 * m1 * m2)/(2π * r^2), where F is the pull force in Newtons, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π * 10^-7), m1 and m2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the magnet and steel plate respectively, and r is the distance between the two objects.

How do I determine the magnetic dipole moment of a magnet and a steel plate?

The magnetic dipole moment can be determined by using a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The magnetometer should be placed at a known distance from the magnet and steel plate, and the readings can be used in the formula to calculate the dipole moment.

Can the formula be used for any type of magnet and steel plate?

Yes, the formula can be used for any type of magnet and steel plate as long as the magnetic dipole moments are known and the distance between the two objects is measured accurately.

What units are used in the formula?

The units used in the formula are Newtons for force, meters for distance, and Amperes per meter for magnetic dipole moment. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent in order to get an accurate result.

Are there any other factors that can affect the pull force between a magnet and a steel plate?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the pull force between a magnet and a steel plate, such as the shape and size of the objects, the surface finish of the steel plate, and the presence of any other magnetic or non-magnetic materials in the vicinity.