Calculating Distance Covered by a Bee Between Two Trains: Homework Problem

• Thread starter jawad1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trains
In summary: Ok, I plugged in the values and got this:In summary, the bee flew a total of 5/4 of a mile before it was crushed.
jawad1

Homework Statement

Consider two trains moving in opposite directions on the same track. The trains start simultaneously from two towns, Aville and Bville, separated by a distance d. Each train travels toward each other with constant speed v. A bee is initially located in front of the train in Aville. As the train departs Aville, the bee travels with speed u>v along the track towards Bville. When it encounters the second train, it instantaneously reverses direction until it encounters the first train, then it reverses again, etc. The bee continues flying between the two trains until it is crushed between the trains impacting each other. The purpose of this problem is to compute the total distance flown by the bee until it is crushed. Assume that the bee is faster than the trains.

Find an expression for the distance d_n covered by the bee after its nth encounter with a train. Define d_0 as the distance traveled during the first flight from Aville towards the train near Bville, d_1 the distance traveled by the bee during the first trip from the Bville train to the Aville train, etc. Sum the resulting series to get the final answer.

I don't know how to proceed with this exercise. Could someone help me please?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a famous story where a mathematician presented this problem to Von Neumann and he figured it out immediately. The mathematician was impresed and said most people I know solve this problem by summing over the infinite series and Von Neumann responded "What do you mean? Thats what I did!"

try solving it step by step and then see if you can find a pattern to the steps and show us your work.

the first step is the bee starts its flight so when will it touch the oncoming train?

This is basically d=ut + vt= (u+v)t right? Then solve for t.

In the next step d is smaller what is the new d value?

Draw a detailed to scale picture (like on graph paper to see the flight of the bee)

Repeat...

and as inspiration listen to this song by yuja wang:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a VERY common type problem and the standard confusion is that one tries to get a sum of a series ... WRONG way to go about it.

Just figure out how far the trains travel at what speed and that gives you the time that they travel. Obviously the bee travels for the same amount of time.

Do you see how to proceed from there?

Let d_0: distance traveled during the first flight from Aville toward the train near Bville.

d_0=ut t:some time

d': distance each train travels on the first flight

d'=vt

We have d_0+d'=d

d_0/d'=(ut)/(vt)

<=> d'/d_0=v/u
<=> d'=(v/u)d_0

d_0+(v/u)d_0=d <=> d_0=(u/(u+v))d

d_0-d'
= 2d_0-(d_0+d')
=d(u/(u+v))d-d
=((2u-u-v)/(u+v))d
=((u-v)/(u+v))d

Thus, the distance has been "shrunk" by a factor of 1/5.

Therefore:

d(Total)= (u/(u+v))d*(1+(1/5)+(1/5^2)+...+(1/5^n))

= (u/(u+v))d*(1/(1-(1/5)))

= (5/4)(u/(u+v))d

Is that correct ?

phinds said:
This is a VERY common type problem and the standard confusion is that one tries to get a sum of a series ... WRONG way to go about it.

Just figure out how far the trains travel at what speed and that gives you the time that they travel. Obviously the bee travels for the same amount of time.

Do you see how to proceed from there?

I was going to say the same thing until I saw the nth-step requirement which means the problem is interested in the infinite summation terms.

I am sorry if it isn't so clear. How do we use LaTeX on this forum ?

jedishrfu said:
I was going to say the same thing until I saw the nth-step requirement which means the problem is interested in the infinite summation terms.

Ah ... I missed that. Just assumed (dumb move) that it was the standard problem.

d(Total)= (5/4)(u/(u+v))d

I do not have any values for u,v and d so..

jawad1 said:
d(Total)= (5/4)(u/(u+v))d

I do not have any values for u,v and d so..

okay take the values for distance and speed from the primepuzzle link I gave you and plug them in as a sanity check.

What is the concept behind calculating distance covered by a bee between two trains?

The concept is based on the relative motion between the bee and the trains. The bee's motion with respect to one train is affected by the motion of the other train. By considering the velocities and time intervals of each train, we can calculate the distance covered by the bee.

What information is needed to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, we need to know the velocities of both trains, the starting position of the bee, and the time interval over which the bee is moving. This information can be given in any units as long as they are consistent.

How do you calculate the distance covered by a bee between two trains?

First, calculate the relative velocity of the bee with respect to one train by subtracting the velocity of that train from the velocity of the bee. Then, use the formula distance = velocity x time to calculate the distance covered by the bee with respect to that train. Finally, add the distances covered by the bee with respect to each train to get the total distance covered.

Can this problem be solved using any type of motion?

Yes, this problem can be solved using any type of motion as long as the relative motion between the bee and the trains can be determined. This includes linear, circular, and projectile motion.

Are there any assumptions made when solving this problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when solving this problem. One is that the bee maintains a constant velocity throughout its motion. Another is that the trains are moving in a straight line and do not change their velocities. Additionally, we assume that there is no external force or other factors affecting the bee's motion.