Calculating distance to balance see-saw

• Thread starter guyvsdcsniper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation is about finding the position of mass 3 to balance a see-saw. The person has measured all distances with respect to the fulcrum and has found that the distance needed for balance is -2m. They have set up a net torque equation and have found that using -1m in the equation is causing a sign problem. The solution is to use either all positive values or all negative values in the equation. One approach is to keep everything positive and write an equation stating that the sum of the clockwise torques equals the sum of the anticlockwise torques. The other approach is to use signs on the displacements and write an equation stating that the sum of all torques is zero. The person
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Calculate the position of the mass m3 by using the torque balance equation.
Relevant Equations
ΣT=0
I am trying to find out where I need to place mass 3 to balance this see-saw. I am measuring all distances with respect to the fulcrum, so positive is to the right of the fulcrum and negative is to the left of it. Experimentally I have found the distance that mass 3 needs to be to balance this system is -2m from the fulcrum. I have set up a net torque equation and am coming up with -4m. I can see that when I subtract (.750m x 784N) by (1m x 196N) and divide by 196N I get -2m. It seems that putting (-1m) into my equation is stopping me from getting the right answer. I can't see why I would leave that value positive though if it is on the negative x-axis of the fulcrum.

Could someone help me understand where I am going wrong?

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.26.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.44.14 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the position of the mass m3 by using the torque balance equation.
Relevant Equations:: ΣT=0

I am trying to find out where I need to place mass 3 to balance this see-saw. I am measuring all distances with respect to the fulcrum, so positive is to the right of the fulcrum and negative is to the left of it. Experimentally I have found the distance that mass 3 needs to be to balance this system is -2m from the fulcrum. I have set up a net torque equation and am coming up with -4m. I can see that when I subtract (.750m x 784N) by (1m x 196N) and divide by 196N I get -2m. It seems that putting (-1m) into my equation is stopping me from getting the right answer. I can't see why I would leave that value positive though if it is on the negative x-axis of the fulcrum.

Could someone help me understand where I am going wrong?

View attachment 281138
View attachment 281139
It's a sign problem.
You can approach it in either of two ways:
1. Keep everything positive and write the equation that says the sum of the clockwise torques equals the sum of the anticlockwise torques.
2. Use signs on the displacements, and write that the sum of all torques is zero.
You have mixed the two.

Last edited:
Likes guyvsdcsniper and BvU
quittingthecult said:
Experimentally
You actually collected three 20 kg weights and a 80 kg one :smile: ?

I'm somewhat missing the problem statement, but I suppose you are at 2. and do your best to make life difficult by using a numerical value for ##g##, which should simply divide out of the torque balance
$$\sum_{left} mgr = \sum_{right} mgr\Leftrightarrow $$
$$ 20\cdot 2 + 20 \cdot 1 = 80 \cdot 0.75$$

[edit]Ah, Hello Haru!
##\ ##

Likes guyvsdcsniper
haruspex said:
It's a sign problem.
1. Keep everything positive and write the equation that says the sum of the clockwise torques equals the sum of the anticlockwise torques.
2. Use signs on the displacements, and write that the sum of all torques is zero.
You have mixed the two.
Gotcha, I see where I went wrong now. Thank you!

Likes BvU
haruspex said:
It's a sign problem.
You have mixed the two.
Haru,
I tried you approach and I did get 2 but the answer is positive. It should be negative. Am I missing something?

BvU said:
You actually collected three 20 kg weights and a 80 kg one :smile: ?

I'm somewhat missing the problem statement, but I suppose you are at 2. and do your best to make life difficult by using a numerical value for ##g##, which should simply divide out of the torque balance
$$\sum_{left} mgr = \sum_{right} mgr\Leftrightarrow $$
$$ 20\cdot 2 + 20 \cdot 1 = 80 \cdot 0.75$$

[edit]Ah, Hello Haru!
##\ ##
Ha, I am using a simulation https://phet.colorado.edu/sims/html/balancing-act/latest/balancing-act_en.html .

quittingthecult said:
Haru,
I tried you approach and I did get 2 but the answer is positive. It should be negative. Am I missing something?
Again, it is a matter of picking one of the two approaches and sticking to it.
In method 1, you place the third mass at a certain distance to the left of the fulcrum. This will give a positive number.
In method 2, you place it a certain displacement to the right. This will give a negative number.
If you are still getting the wrong sign, please post your detailed calculation and say which method you are using.

haruspex said:
Again, it is a matter of picking one of the two approaches and sticking to it.
In method 1, you place the third mass at a certain distance to the left of the fulcrum. This will give a positive number.
In method 2, you place it a certain displacement to the right. This will give a negative number.
If you are still getting the wrong sign, please post your detailed calculation and say which method you are using.

I used method 2.
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 6.40.11 PM.png

In the step 3, when you divided 20 from numerator & denominator, you forgot to carry the negative sign to the next step.
Sorry if I am wrong.

Shreya said:
In the step 3, when you divided 20 from numerator & denominator, you forgot to carry the negative sign to the next step.
Sorry if I am wrong.
I just divided it at the end, which still gives me a positive number. I probably could have been a little more clear on that step.

I don't think you must start by taking x as negative. Take it as x and then solve.
Sorry if I am wrong

Shreya said:
-40 m kg / 20 kg = -2 m
Yes but the unknown distance is in the negative direction, so when I divide that by -2 m it becomes 2 m.

This is the diagram I am working with and I am considering everything to the left of the fulcrum a distance on the negative x axis. I am not suppose to know the distance of the boy at the very end and that is what I am solving for. So the way I was interpreting it was that since he is on the x-axis and i don't know his distance, I would use negative sign for his displacement.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 6.59.08 PM.png

As you said, You are not supposed to know where the boy must be placed, (he could even be on the +x axis, though not in this case). So you assume that the boy is at x displacement and the math tells you the sign.
When you wrote -x, you have already assumed that the value you will obtain for x is the magnitude of x.

The boy is at a -x distance, where |x|is 2m. Your answer is right. You just assumed that he is at a -x displacement and solved for the magnitude of x.
Sorry if I am wrong

Likes guyvsdcsniper and Lnewqban
Shreya said:
As you said, You are not supposed to know where the boy must be placed, (he could even be on the +x axis, though not in this case). So you assume that the boy is at x displacement and the math tells you the sign.
When you wrote -x, you have already assumed that the value you will obtain for x is the magnitude of x.

The boy is at a -x distance, where |x|is 2m. Your answer is right. You just assumed that he is at a -x displacement and solved for the magnitude of x.
Sorry if I am wrong
I feel so dumb. I believe you are absolutely right. I have to do better at catching these small mistake.

I am no better. All the best!

Likes guyvsdcsniper
haruspex said:
It's a sign problem.
You have mixed the two.
Haru,

I am a bit confused on why #2 works.

You state to take the sum of all torques. I did that and with the help of Shreya point out what i was doing wrong I found the right answer.

But why would I have to add the the torque of the object on the right. If I think of it as the only force it would rotate clockwise making it negative which would mean I need to subtract the clockwise torque from the counter clockwise torque giving me a completely different answer.

quittingthecult said:
Haru,

You state to take the sum of all torques. I did that and with the help of Shreya point out what i was doing wrong I found the right answer.

But why would I have to add the the torque of the object on the right. If I think of it as the only force it would rotate clockwise making it negative which would mean I need to subtract the clockwise torque from the counter clockwise torque giving me a completely different answer.
By using signs of displacement in method #2, you are just pointing out the direction of the torque (clockwise or anticlockwise).
If you rearrange the equation you got in #2 you get the same equation as #1.
Both the methods are the same,in the first one you consciously separate the clockwise and anti clockwise and in #2 you do it mathematically.
Sorry if I am wrong

1617932070237.jpg

Shreya said:
By using signs of displacement in method #2, you are just pointing out the direction of the torque (clockwise or anticlockwise).
If you rearrange the equation you got in #2 you get the same equation as #1.
Both the methods are the same,in the first one you consciously separate the clockwise and anti clockwise and in #2 you do it mathematically.
Sorry if I am wrong
So I am dealing with a different question but it is very similar. I have to calculate the distance of the object on the left from the fulcrum in order to achieve equilibrium.
irKjVDGpyvkcQTj0Kzr9rs1DbZ1OYa_tv-U2BYSYPA6GnZMOK4.png

On the left I have followed Haru's convention and I did receive a negative displacement as my answer. On the right was my though process to this problem. The torque on the right is negative because it would rotate clockwise if it was the only force but it ultimately leaves me with a positive displacement.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 8.43.41 PM.png

How the method on the right wrong? I've been using that for multiple problems and have been getting them correct but now when I have a fulcrum and torques on both sides of it, it is not working..

quittingthecult said:
So I am dealing with a different question but it is very similar. I have to calculate the distance of the object on the left from the fulcrum in order to achieve equilibrium.
View attachment 281167

On the left I have followed Haru's convention and I did receive a negative displacement as my answer. On the right was my though process to this problem. The torque on the right is negative because it would rotate clockwise if it was the only force but it ultimately leaves me with a positive displacement.

View attachment 281166

How the method on the right wrong? I've been using that for multiple problems and have been getting them correct but now when I have a fulcrum and torques on both sides of it, it is not working..
Your method is right.
The method that haru suggested is correct, but in your solution, you have not applied different signs for clockwise and counterclockwise torques.
That must be the reason for the wrong sign

Shreya said:
Your method is right.
The method that haru suggested is correct, but in your solution, you have not applied different signs for clockwise and counterclockwise torques.
That must be the reason for the wrong sign
I think I am missing something could you help me understand a little better? I feel like in my method I am applying the the different signs for the clockwise and counterclockwise torque. The (x)(10kg*g) is the CCW torque which makes it positive. The (1m)(5kg*g) Torque is the CW torque making it negative. Hence the CCW Torque is being subtracted from the CW torque.

quittingthecult said:
I think I am missing something could you help me understand a little better? I feel like in my method I am applying the the different signs for the clockwise and counterclockwise torque. The (x)(10kg*g) is the CCW torque which makes it positive. The (1m)(5kg*g) Torque is the CW torque making it negative. Hence the CCW Torque is being subtracted from the CW torque.
You should use + 5kg *g, because you are dealing with clockwise torque.
In usual sign convention clockwise is + and counter clockwise is -
Sorry if I am wrong

Shreya said:
You should use + 5kg *g, because you are dealing with clockwise torque.
In usual sign convention clockwise is + and counter clockwise is -
Sorry if I am wrong
Yea I am not too sure about that. I believe when you are dealing with torque counter clock wise is positive and clockwise is negative.

quittingthecult said:
Yea I am not too sure about that. I believe when you are dealing with torque counter clock wise is positive and clockwise is negative.
Sorry about that... I didn't know about that convention. Thanks for letting me know.
So you should add a negative sign to 10kg *g because the force in this case is downward. Therefore, for 10kg the force is - and position is unknown and for 5kg the force is - and position is +. (I think this is the reason why clockwise is said to be negative )

Likes guyvsdcsniper
quittingthecult said:
Suppose the weights wi are at displacements xi, these being signed values, positive on the right of the fulcrum.
With the convention that CCW is positive, the torques are -wixi.
Using method 2, the torque balance equation is Σ-wixi=0.
But we can drop the minus sign and write Σwixi=0.
To switch to method 1, we can collect together the terms in which x is negative, i.e. for which x=-|x|. To distinguish these I'll write y instead of x, so the method 2 form is
Σwixi+Σwiyi=0.
Σwixi+Σwi(-|yi|)=0.
Σwixi-Σwi|yi|=0.
Σwixi=Σwi|yi|.
Which is the method 1 form.

Likes guyvsdcsniper and Shreya
quittingthecult said:
You can create your own meaning of the signs, as two oposite conventions exist regarding positive and negative moments or torques.
What is important is that both directions of potential rotation about a common fulcrum are opposite.

To understand that concept is important because your future problems may not involve a straight horizontal beam with forces acting perpendicularly to it.

Spring+seesaw.jpg

Last edited:
Likes guyvsdcsniper and Shreya
Lnewqban said:
You can create your own meaning of the signs, as two oposite conventions exist regarding positive and negative moments or torques.
What is important is that both directions of potential rotation about a common fulcrum are opposite.

To understand that concept is important because your future problems may not involve a straight horizontal beam with forces acting perpendicularly to it.

View attachment 281244
You're right I didnt consider that. I will keep that in mind.

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do you calculate the distance needed to balance a see-saw?

To calculate the distance needed to balance a see-saw, you need to know the weight and distance of each object on the see-saw. Then, you can use the formula W1 x D1 = W2 x D2, where W1 and D1 are the weight and distance of one object and W2 and D2 are the weight and distance of the other object. This will give you the distance needed for the see-saw to balance.

2. What units should be used when calculating the distance to balance a see-saw?

The units used for weight and distance should be consistent. For example, if the weight is measured in pounds, the distance should be measured in feet. It is important to use the same units to ensure accurate calculations.

3. Can the distance to balance a see-saw be calculated if the weight of one object is unknown?

No, the distance cannot be accurately calculated if the weight of one object is unknown. Both weights and distances are needed to determine the balance point of a see-saw.

4. How does the length of the see-saw affect the distance needed to balance it?

The length of the see-saw does not affect the distance needed to balance it. As long as the weight and distance of each object are known, the formula W1 x D1 = W2 x D2 can be used to calculate the distance needed for balance.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated distance to balance a see-saw?

The accuracy of the calculated distance can be affected by factors such as measurement errors, uneven weight distribution on the objects, and external forces (such as wind or friction). It is important to ensure accurate measurements and minimize external influences for more precise calculations.