Calculating Doppler Frequency Shift for Ultrasonic Waves

In summary, Doppler frequency shift is the change in frequency of a wave caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. It is commonly seen in real-life examples such as the change in pitch of a siren or train whistle and is used in various scientific and technological applications, including meteorology, medical imaging, and astronomy. The amount of frequency shift is affected by factors such as the speed and direction of the source or observer, the speed of the wave, and the wavelength. Doppler frequency shift is related to the Doppler effect, which describes the change in frequency of a wave due to motion, and is the actual change in frequency observed by the observer.
nao113
Homework Statement
Calculate the Doppler frequency shift under the following condition:
Ultrasonic frequency = 5 [MHz] Velocity of target = 0.1 [m/s]
Angle between the US beam and flow =60 [deg.]

I put the detait of the question and my answer below
Did I answer it correctly?
Relevant Equations
f = 2. vr. fs. cos /c
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 16.13.21.png

Answer;
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 16.13.32.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
nao113 said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the Doppler frequency shift under the following condition:
Ultrasonic frequency = 5 [MHz] Velocity of target = 0.1 [m/s]
Angle between the US beam and flow =60 [deg.]

I put the detait of the question and my answer below
Did I answer it correctly?
Relevant Equations:: f = 2. vr. fs. cos /c

View attachment 302557
Answer;
View attachment 302558
Looks ok, except that it violates the usual rules of significant digits. Since the given frequency and speed have only one such the answer should be given as ##3\times 10^2##Hz. On the other hand, the question setter might not have intended that.

What is Doppler Frequency Shift for Ultrasonic Waves?

Doppler Frequency Shift for Ultrasonic Waves is a phenomenon where the frequency of an ultrasonic wave changes when the source of the wave and the observer are in relative motion. This shift in frequency is caused by the change in distance between the source and observer, and is commonly observed in medical ultrasound imaging and Doppler radar systems.

How is Doppler Frequency Shift calculated for Ultrasonic Waves?

The formula for calculating Doppler Frequency Shift for Ultrasonic Waves is: Δf = 2f0(v/c)cosθ, where Δf is the frequency shift, f0 is the original frequency of the wave, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, c is the speed of sound, and θ is the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the wave. This formula takes into account the effects of both the motion of the source and the observer.

What factors can affect the Doppler Frequency Shift for Ultrasonic Waves?

The Doppler Frequency Shift for Ultrasonic Waves can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the source and observer, the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the wave, and the speed of sound in the medium. Additionally, the frequency of the wave itself can also impact the amount of frequency shift observed.

What is the significance of Doppler Frequency Shift in medical ultrasound imaging?

Doppler Frequency Shift is an important aspect of medical ultrasound imaging as it allows for the detection of movement and flow within the body. By measuring the frequency shift of the reflected ultrasonic waves, doctors can gather information about the direction and speed of blood flow, as well as detect any abnormalities or blockages.

How is Doppler Frequency Shift used in Doppler radar systems?

Doppler Frequency Shift is utilized in Doppler radar systems to measure the speed and direction of moving objects, such as weather patterns or aircraft. By analyzing the frequency shift of the reflected signals, the radar system can determine the velocity of the object and track its movement over time.