Calculating (dr)^2: Formula & Examples

• B
  • Thread starter jk22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of (dr)^2, which is represented by the equations dx^2+dy^2+dz^2 and (xdx+ydy+zdz)^2/(x^2+y^2+z^2). The question arises about the meaning of r, which is clarified as a radius or a metric/distance. It is then mentioned that dr is a differential position vector in 3D space and the conversation ends with a question about the result of dotting this vector with itself.
jk22
I'm confused, Is the value of ##(dr)^2##
$$dx^2+dy^2+dz^2$$

Or $$\frac{(xdx+ydy+zdz)^2}{x^2+y^2+z^2}$$

?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##r##? If it is ##r= \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^ 2}##, then the second option is correct.

The first were ##(d\vec{r})^2## ?

Maybe you should tell what all that notation means before asking questions...

I think you meant that ##\mathbf{dr}## is a differential position vector between 2 closely neighboring locations in 3D space. In Cartesian coordinates, $$\mathbf{dr}=\mathbf{i_x}dx+\mathbf{i_y}dy+\mathbf{i_z}dz$$What do you get when you dot this vector with itself?

Related to Calculating (dr)^2: Formula & Examples

What is the formula for calculating (dr)^2?

The formula for calculating (dr)^2 is (r^2)(d^2), where r is the radius and d is the diameter of a circle.

How do I calculate (dr)^2 if I only know the circumference of a circle?

If you only know the circumference of a circle, you can use the formula (C/π)^2, where C is the circumference, to calculate (dr)^2.

Can (dr)^2 be used to find the area of a circle?

Yes, (dr)^2 can be used to find the area of a circle. The formula for calculating the area of a circle is π(r^2), which is equivalent to (dr)^2.

What are some real-life examples of using (dr)^2?

(dr)^2 is commonly used in geometry and math to calculate the area of circles. It is also used in fields such as engineering and physics to calculate the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

How can I use (dr)^2 to solve practical problems?

(dr)^2 can be used to solve a variety of practical problems, such as calculating the amount of paint needed to cover a circular wall or determining the size of a circular garden. It can also be used to calculate the rotational energy of an object or the speed of a rotating object.