Calculating drag of an object under water(Help)

• Thread starter jeeloong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, the accelerometer measures the acceleration of the object, but it is not clear if the object is still accelerating.
jeeloong
Dear Experts,

I really need help with the calculation of virtual mass and drag of an object.
Firstly, I am doing final year project called Drag reduction in swim cap. Before I go into using swim cap. I am try to measure the drag using accelerometer that inside a bottle but I am damn confuse... the requirement is just equations of motion according to my supervisor.

F_Buoyancy = buoyancy force = density, displaced volume x gravity
F_Drag = Drag force = Cd. 1/2 x density . Velocity^2 . Area
F_w = weight = mass x gravity

ok when an object rises F_B > F_W which means the object accelerate up. If we include drag after some point terminal velocity will reach and the object no longer accelerate.
when F_B < F_W the object sinks

I was told to calculate virtual mass which is the mass added when the object pushes a finite amount of water away when it accelerates

The equation of motion can be given as

F_B - F_W - F_D = (m + mh)a
Where mh is added mass.

I really wondering how do I measured the drag by using accerelometer? :confused:
I already launch the object from water and the accelerometer show the g-force either increasing or decrease depends on how I point it.

I am very grateful if some dynamic people could point it out.

Regards,
JL

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really wondering how do I measured the drag by using accerelometer?
You need to use the acceleration vs time data in conjunction with a mathematical model for drag.
That's where the equations come in.

You may need to model mh in terms of the instantaneous speed of the bottle and it's cross-section area.

Your accelerometer reads differently with different orientations perhaps because acceleration is a vector.
Is it measuring the component of the acceleration in the direction it is pointing in?

(By g-force, you mean that your accelerometer measures acceleration in units of g?)

jeeloong said:
I was told to calculate virtual mass which is the mass added when the object pushes a finite amount of water away when it accelerates

The equation of motion can be given as

F_B - F_W - F_D = (m + mh)a
Where mh is added mass.

Two comments:

1. Calculating the virtual mass is very hard, compared with everything else in your OP.
2. If a = 0 (i.e. the velocity is constant), the virtual mass has no effect, so you don't need it.

The easiest way to do fluid flow experiments is at constant velocity, not when things are accelerating.

I was thinking that the situation needs to be finessed so the bottle gets it's terminal velocity very quickly... ie. ballast to make it only a little buoyant.

Yup, that's the standard way to measure drag forces.

An accelerometer seems like the wrong measuring device to use for this.

The only use I can think for it would be to have a record for when the acceleration is zero.
Maybe an acceleration-time curve can be interpolated to find the speed for constant velocity?
Drag is different for different speeds.

However - as an assigned project "use this sub-optimal equipment to make the following measurement" would be a common learning exercise. I'm seeing a few odd projects using accelerometers cropping up recently - tech du jour I guess.

Simon Bridge said:
The only use I can think for it would be to have a record for when the acceleration is zero.
Maybe an acceleration-time curve can be interpolated to find the speed for constant velocity?
Drag is different for different speeds.

However - as an assigned project "use this sub-optimal equipment to make the following measurement" would be a common learning exercise. I'm seeing a few odd projects using accelerometers cropping up recently - tech du jour I guess.

Hi, Thanks for the reply
I got this data doing the test using a bottle with accelerometer fitted. The first one is without mass inside just accelerometer. The center of mass is not aligned with the bottle and it shot up very fast(haven't reach constant velocity/terminal I guess).

The second test I put nickel and silver penny inside and the object rises constantly by using naked eye but I am not sure whether it is still accelerating. And the good part is the bottle is very straight almost normal to the water surface!

Attachments

• AccelerometerVeryImportantCore2.jpg
    AccelerometerVeryImportantCore2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 496
  • AccelerationCore2(Stable).jpg
    AccelerationCore2(Stable).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 543
AlephZero said:
Yup, that's the standard way to measure drag forces.

An accelerometer seems like the wrong measuring device to use for this.

Hello I got the follow result
1) Bottle with accelerometer and off center of mass
2) Bottle with acc with aligned center of mass

I already attach the image in Simon posts, can't duplicate. Thx!

Simon Bridge said:
I was thinking that the situation needs to be finessed so the bottle gets it's terminal velocity very quickly... ie. ballast to make it only a little buoyant.

Yeah, I need to reach terminal velocity as quickly as possible. My supervisor mention getting terminal velocity correctly is a challenge. my water tank is about 3m depth.

Thinking about it, you could probably measure the added mass effect in this experiment. (As a native English speaker I think "calculate" means "do a theoretical calculation," but that might not be what you and supervisor meant).

The added mass only depends on the shape of the object, not on its real mass. The same is true for the buoyancy force. The drag force F_D depends on the shape, and also the velocity.

So, if you can do two experiments with different masses m1 and m2, and measure the accelerations at the same velocity, you have
##F_B - F_{W_1} - F_D = (m_1 + m_h)a_1##
##F_B - F_{W_2} - F_D = (m_2 + m_h)a_2##
and you can eliminate the unknown drag force ##F_D## to find ##m_h##.

1. How do you calculate the drag of an object under water?

The drag force of an object under water can be calculated using the formula Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of water, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

2. What is the significance of the drag coefficient in calculating drag under water?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the aerodynamic efficiency of an object. It takes into account the shape and surface properties of the object, and is used in the drag force formula to calculate the resistance an object experiences while moving through water.

3. How does the velocity of an object affect drag under water?

The drag force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of the object. This means that as the velocity increases, the drag force also increases. Therefore, the faster an object moves through water, the more resistance it will experience due to drag.

4. Can you determine the drag force of an object under water without knowing its drag coefficient?

No, the drag coefficient is an essential factor in calculating the drag force of an object under water. It cannot be accurately determined without knowing the object's shape and surface properties, which are represented by the drag coefficient.

5. How can the drag force of an object under water be reduced?

The drag force of an object under water can be reduced by changing its shape, increasing its surface smoothness, or decreasing its velocity. These changes will result in a lower drag coefficient, and therefore, a lower drag force.