Calculating Drag Through A Pipe

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag Pipe
In summary, the problem involves calculating the drag on each square meter of the surface of a pipe through which concrete is being pumped. The concrete is moving at 0.2m/s and has a viscosity of 5 Pa s. Using the formula Viscosity = Shear Stress / Shear Rate, the shear stress is found to be 10 N/m^2. This is the same as the drag force per unit area. No further calculations are needed.
tomtomtom1
MODERATOR NOTE: NO TEMPLATE - MISPLACED HOMEWORK
Hi All
I was hoping someone could help with the following problem:-

Concrete is being pumped along a pipe. All of the concrete that is more then 10cm from the wall of the pipe is moving at 0.2m/s, and the material in contact with the pipe wall is not moving. Assuming that the concrete has a viscosity of 5 Pa s, calculate the drag on each square meter of the surface of the pipe.

I know that the Viscosity = Shear Stress / Shear Strain
and Shear Stress = Force / Area
and Shear Strain = Change in Length / Original Length

But that it is.

The answer is meant to be:-
Shear stress = Viscosity x ((V1 – V2) / dy)
Shear stress = 5 x (0.2 / 0.1)
Shear stress = 10 N/m2

I assume the pipe diameter to be 20cm giving me an Area of 0.03146m^2

I'm not sure where to take it from here.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
MODERATOR NOTE: NO TEMPLATE - MISPLACED HOMEWORK
Hi All
I was hoping someone could help with the following problem:-

Concrete is being pumped along a pipe. All of the concrete that is more then 10cm from the wall of the pipe is moving at 0.2m/s, and the material in contact with the pipe wall is not moving. Assuming that the concrete has a viscosity of 5 Pa s, calculate the drag on each square meter of the surface of the pipe.

I know that the Viscosity = Shear Stress / Shear Strain
and Shear Stress = Force / Area
and Shear Strain = Change in Length / Original Length
This is not correct. Viscosity = Shear Stress / Shear Rate (i.e., velocity gradient)
But that it is.

The answer is meant to be:-
Shear stress = Viscosity x ((V1 – V2) / dy)
Shear stress = 5 x (0.2 / 0.1)
Shear stress = 10 N/m2
The velocity gradient is ##\Delta V/\Delta y##, which is 0.2/0.1 = ##2 s^{-1}##
So the shear stress is the same as the drag force per unit area = 10 N/m^2 = 10 Pa
I assume the pipe diameter to be 20cm giving me an Area of 0.03146m^2

I'm not sure where to take it from here.
You don't need the pipe surface area. You already have your answer.

1. What is drag and why is it important to calculate it through a pipe?

Drag is the force that opposes an object's motion through a fluid medium, such as a liquid or gas. It is important to calculate drag through a pipe because it can affect the flow rate and efficiency of the fluid passing through the pipe.

2. How is drag calculated through a pipe?

Drag through a pipe is calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the pipe's diameter, length, roughness, and the fluid's density and viscosity. This equation is used to determine the pressure drop or head loss due to friction in the pipe.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of drag through a pipe?

The magnitude of drag through a pipe is affected by the fluid's velocity, viscosity, and density, as well as the pipe's diameter, length, and roughness. Other factors such as the fluid's temperature and the presence of bends or obstructions in the pipe can also impact drag.

4. How can drag through a pipe be minimized?

Drag through a pipe can be minimized by using a larger diameter pipe, reducing the length of the pipe, and smoothing out any rough surfaces inside the pipe. Additionally, using a fluid with a lower viscosity can also help to minimize drag.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating drag through a pipe?

Calculating drag through a pipe is important in a variety of industries, such as plumbing, HVAC systems, and oil and gas pipelines. It is also crucial in designing and optimizing transportation systems, such as water and sewage networks, as well as in the development of renewable energy technologies like wind turbines.