Calculating electric charge from graph (capacitor)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the amount of electronic charge on a capacitor by integrating the functions from 0 to the time when it is fully charged. The initial voltage is given as 10 V and the capacity and resistance are 2*10^(-6) F and 1*10^6 Ω respectively. There is confusion about whether the capacitor is being charged or discharged.
krisu334
Homework Statement
When charging a capacitor we obtained a graph of voltage in terms of time. From the graph, find the amount of electronic charge on the capacitor.
Relevant Equations
Initial voltage: 10 V
Capacity: 2*10^(-6) Fahr.
Resistance: 1*10^6 Ohm
Apparently, we need to integrate the functions from 0 to the time when it is fully charged. However, I integrated in terms of t so the soultion (according to a graph programme) should be around 236 Vs but I don’t see how this could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @krisu334 ,
:welcome: ##\ ##!​
What is the expected relationship between ##V## and ##t##?

krisu334 said:
Homework Statement: When charging a capacitor we obtained a graph of voltage in terms of time. From the graph, find the amount of electronic charge on the capacitor.
Relevant Equations: Initial voltage: 10 V
Capacity: 2*10^(-6) Fahr.
Resistance: 1*10^6 Ohm

Apparently, we need to integrate the functions from 0 to the time when it is fully charged. However, I integrated in terms of t so the soultion (according to a graph programme) should be around 236 Vs but I don’t see how this could help me.
Hi @krisu334. In addition to @BvU ’s question:

Presumably V is the voltage across the capacitor. Are you charging or discharging? You say “Initial voltage: 10 V” which implies you are discharging. But you also say “from 0 to the time when it is fully charged” which implies charging.

Minor points, for information:
The unit of capacitance (not “capacity”) is the ‘farad’ (lower case), symbol ‘F’.
The unit of resistance is the ‘ohm’ (lower case), symbol ‘Ω’.

Well, what is the status?

1. How do I calculate the electric charge from a capacitor graph?

To calculate the electric charge from a capacitor graph, you will need to find the area under the curve of the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller rectangles or using calculus to find the integral of the curve. The value of the area will give you the electric charge.

2. What units are used to measure electric charge?

The SI unit for electric charge is coulomb (C). Other commonly used units include microcoulomb (μC) and millcoulomb (mC).

3. Can the electric charge on a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the electric charge on a capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the capacitor is connected in reverse polarity, causing the charge to flow in the opposite direction. However, the magnitude of the negative charge will still be equal to the positive charge on the other side of the capacitor.

4. What factors affect the electric charge on a capacitor?

The electric charge on a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and time. The higher the capacitance and voltage, the greater the charge that can be stored on the capacitor. The longer the capacitor is charged, the greater the charge it can hold.

5. How does the shape of the capacitor graph affect the calculated electric charge?

The shape of the capacitor graph does not affect the calculated electric charge. As long as the area under the curve is the same, the calculated charge will be the same. However, the shape of the graph can provide information about the capacitance and voltage of the capacitor.