Calculating Electric Field for 4 Point Charges in a Square Configuration

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding determining the field strength at a point A between four point charges arranged in a square. The charges are 100nC in the bottom left and upper right corners, and -100nC in the remaining two corners. The question asks for the field strength at point A, with options ranging from 0 N/C to 3.5*10^4 N/C. The relevant equations are not given, but the person asking the question has attempted to calculate the field with no success. They also mention that the location of point A is not specified clearly, but it is assumed to be halfway along the side of the square.
nfepow
New poster has been reminded to show the Relevant Equations and their work on the solution
Homework Statement
4 point charges are arranged in a Square with side length s=0.5 m. The point charges in the Bottom left and upper right corner has the charge 100nC and the two others has -100nC. A point A is placed on the left side line between the two charges. Determine the field strenght in point A.
A) E=0 N/C
B) E=4.6*10^3 N/C
C) E=1.5*10^4 N/C
D) E=2.4*10^4 N/C
E) E=2.6*10^4 N/C
F) E=3.1*10^4 N/C
G) E=3.5*10^4 N/C
Relevant Equations
I am not given any
I have the following question and I can't figure out how to, is there anybody who can help?

Physics news on Phys.org
nfepow said:
Homework Statement:: 4 point charges are arranged in a Square with side length s=0.5 m. The point charges in the Bottom left and upper right corner has the charge 100nC and the two others has -100nC. A point A is placed on the left side line between the two charges. Determine the field strenght in point A.
A) E=0 N/C
B) E=4.6*10^3 N/C
C) E=1.5*10^4 N/C
D) E=2.4*10^4 N/C
E) E=2.6*10^4 N/C
F) E=3.1*10^4 N/C
G) E=3.5*10^4 N/C
Relevant Equations:: I am not given any

I have the following question and I can't figure out how to, is there anybody who can help?
Per forum rules you must show an attempt.
You must have been taught something about fields generated by point charges.

It is not clear where A is. Was there a diagram? Presumably it is half way along the side.

What is the field at A due to each of the four charges?

I tried to calculate the field first but i couldn't get an answer that made sense

Attachments

• Udklip.PNG
    Udklip.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 128
nfepow said:
I tried to calculate the field
So post your attempt. Don't be shy.

Likes berkeman

Related to Calculating Electric Field for 4 Point Charges in a Square Configuration

1. What is the electric field at the center of a square formed by 4 point charges?

The electric field at the center of a square formed by 4 point charges depends on the magnitude and direction of each charge. To find the total electric field, we use the principle of superposition by adding the individual electric fields from each point charge.

2. How do the positions of the point charges affect the electric field at the center of the square?

The positions of the point charges greatly affect the electric field at the center of the square. If the charges are arranged symmetrically, the electric field will cancel out and the net electric field at the center will be zero. However, if the charges are not symmetrically arranged, the electric field at the center will be non-zero and its direction will depend on the positions of the charges.

3. What is the net force on a test charge placed at the center of the square formed by 4 point charges?

The net force on a test charge placed at the center of the square formed by 4 point charges will depend on the magnitude and direction of each point charge. To find the net force, we use Coulomb's law by calculating the force between the test charge and each point charge, and then adding them vectorially.

4. Can the electric field at the center of the square ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field at the center of the square can be zero if the point charges are arranged symmetrically. This means that the electric field from each charge will cancel out, resulting in a net electric field of zero at the center.

5. How does the distance between the point charges affect the electric field at the center of the square?

The distance between the point charges affects the electric field at the center of the square in two ways. First, according to Coulomb's law, the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field decreases. Second, the distance between the charges also affects the direction of the electric field. If the charges are closer together, the electric field will be stronger and point in a different direction compared to if the charges are farther apart.