Calculating Energy Expenditure for Weight Loss Through Stair Climbing

• Thread starter xX1SHOt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of energy in Calories and joules, the plan of a student to lose weight by running up and down stairs, and the calculation of how many times the student must run the stairs to lose 1 lb of fat. It also includes a clarification about the conversion of energy from metabolizing fat into mechanical work. The student's calculation is incorrect as they did not take into account the 20% efficiency of human muscles and used an incorrect total distance of 15 meters.
xX1SHOt

Homework Statement

Energy is conventionally measured in Calories as well as in joules. One Calorie in nutrition is one kilocalorie, defined as 1 kcal = 4186 J. Metabolizing 1 g of fat can release 9.00 kcal. A student decides to try to lose weight by exercising. She plans to run up and down the stairs in a football stadium as fast as she can and as many times as necessary. Is this in itself a practical way to lose weight? To evaluate the program, suppose she runs up a flight of 100 steps, each 0.150 m high, in 59.5 s. For simplicity, ignore the energy she uses in coming down (which is small). Assume that a typical efficiency for human muscles is 20.0%. Therefore when your body converts 100 J from metabolizing fat, 20 J goes into doing mechanical work (here, climbing stairs). The remainder goes into extra internal energy. Assume that the student's mass is 54.0 kg.
(a) How many times must she run the flight of stairs to lose 1 lb of fat?

Homework Equations

work = F*d which equals the same as total potential energy PE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i interpreted it as only 20% of work burns fat, if that's wrong that'd be nice to know.

(54 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(15) = 7938 J

1lb = .4536 kg

.2 * 9kcal/g * 1000g/kg * 1kg/2.2046lbs * 4186J/kcal * 1walk/7938J = 430.56 walks/lb

i messed up a calculation and entered 2152.78 walks/lb the first time and it said that i was between 10% and 100% of the correct answer. Does what i just showed make sense and if it at least the calculations are correct is it wrong where i thought 20% of energy used burns fat? or maybe its 80% ? or maybe its 120%?

any thoughts would be helpful as i only have one more chance to answer before its permanently wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
xX1SHOt said:
ok i interpreted it as only 20% of work burns fat, if that's wrong that'd be nice to know.
Yep, it's wrong. Did you see this sentence:
xX1SHOt said:
Therefore when your body converts 100 J from metabolizing fat, 20 J goes into doing mechanical work (here, climbing stairs).

Also, in
xX1SHOt said:
(54 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(15) = 7938 J
Where did 15 come from?

15 is the total height being walked up .15m per step * 100 steps = 15
her mass is 54kg and acceleration is 9.8m/s^2.
the total energy or work it takes to get to the top is Fd.
do you have a different way to determine the total distance?

What is the best way to word my research question?

The best way to word your research question is to make sure it is clear, concise, and specific. It should also be able to be answered through your research. Avoid using vague or broad language and make sure it is relevant to your field of study.

How can I improve the organization of my research paper?

To improve the organization of your research paper, make sure to have a clear and logical flow of ideas. Use headings and subheadings to break up different sections and make it easier for readers to follow. Also, ensure that the information is presented in a way that supports your research question.

What should I include in my literature review?

In a literature review, you should include a brief overview of the current knowledge on your topic, including key theories and findings from previous studies. It is also important to critically analyze and synthesize the information, rather than just summarizing it. Make sure to cite all sources properly and highlight any gaps in the existing research that your study aims to fill.

How can I effectively incorporate data into my research paper?

When incorporating data into your research paper, it is important to present it in a clear and organized manner. Use tables, graphs, or charts to visually represent the data and provide a brief explanation of the key findings. Also, make sure to properly cite the source of the data and explain how it relates to your research question.

What is the best way to proofread and edit my research paper?

The best way to proofread and edit your research paper is to take a break from it after completing the writing process. This will allow you to come back to it with fresh eyes and catch any errors or inconsistencies. It can also be helpful to have someone else read your paper and provide feedback. Make sure to also check for proper grammar, spelling, and formatting before submitting your paper.