Calculating Flux density in a DC-DC converter coil

In summary, calculating flux density in a DC-DC converter coil involves using the formula B = μNIA/l, where B is the flux density, μ is the permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core. This calculation is important in designing efficient and reliable DC-DC converters, as the flux density affects the performance and efficiency of the converter. By understanding the factors that influence flux density, engineers can optimize their designs for maximum performance.
hobbs125
Hello Everyone.

I am working on a DC-DC converter design which uses a transformer with an additional inductive element on the secondary side. The coil charges a large capacitor.

Since there is an additional inductive element on the secondary side the inductive element builds up a field while the pulse is applied (30kHz 50% duty cycle). When the pulse ends the field collapses and produces another pulse of the same duration (30kHz 50% duty cycle) and polarity since a diode is in series with the coil and capacitor (see attachment)

My question is: How do I calculate the Flux density since there are (2) 30kHz 50% duty cycle pulses...Do I calculate it as if it were a single 100% duty cycle 30kHz pulse? Or does the second pulse not count since it is the field collapsing?

Thanks for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• core bsat.png
    core bsat.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 548
Engineering news on Phys.org
hobbs125 said:
My question is: How do I calculate the Flux density since there are (2) 30kHz 50% duty cycle pulses...Do I calculate it as if it were a single 100% duty cycle 30kHz pulse? Or does the second pulse not count since it is the field collapsing?

The flux density varies with time. You can either solve the DC differential equations, LdI/dt, or you can approximate the square wave as a sin with the fundamental frequency and take the RMS.

hobbs125 said:
Hello Everyone.

I am working on a DC-DC converter design which uses a transformer with an additional inductive element on the secondary side. The coil charges a large capacitor.

Since there is an additional inductive element on the secondary side the inductive element builds up a field while the pulse is applied (30kHz 50% duty cycle). When the pulse ends the field collapses and produces another pulse of the same duration (30kHz 50% duty cycle) and polarity since a diode is in series with the coil and capacitor (see attachment)

Thanks for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

Without knowing anything about the core geometry and how the winding's are built this is impossible to answer.

Basically the process is come up with an equivalent reluctance circuit of your core based on the core geometry, then place the windings appropriately as MMF sources, then your primary is the driver (ie its providing the MMF) and then the reluctance circuit determines the total flux and how its distributed in the core, then you can start to see what your secondary and auxiliary winding are doing.

Primer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit

hobbs125 said:
Since there is an additional inductive element on the secondary side the inductive element builds up a field while the pulse is applied (30kHz 50% duty cycle). When the pulse ends the field collapses and produces another pulse of the same duration (30kHz 50% duty cycle) and polarity since a diode is in series with the coil and capacitor
First off, you have a series circuit of two secondaries and a diode. Whether the diode is between the those windings or after them make no difference.

Are you saying during the pulse that the top of the secondary is a given polarity (let's say "+" for ease of discussion) and after the pulse, during field collapse, that the right end of the 3rd coil is "+"?

If that is the case, the coils are connected in series opposing and the voltages will subtract from each other during the whole cycle.

If the secondaries are connected in series aiding, they are just a single secondary with the voltage being the sum from the two.

Here is a short slide slow that gives the rudiments (beginning information) of various converters.
http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~dcdc/slides/DC-DC part 4_Double .pdf
Above link found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=forward+converter+vs+flyback
Cheers,
Tom

hobbs125 said:
Since all 3 coils share the same core, can you show the polarity dots for each please? Thanks.

1563988997284.png

1. What is flux density in a DC-DC converter coil?

Flux density is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field generated by a DC-DC converter coil. It is typically measured in Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) and represents the number of magnetic field lines per unit area.

2. How is flux density calculated in a DC-DC converter coil?

Flux density can be calculated by dividing the total flux through a given area by the area itself. In a DC-DC converter coil, the flux is generated by the current flowing through the coil and the area is the cross-sectional area of the coil.

3. What factors affect the flux density in a DC-DC converter coil?

The flux density in a DC-DC converter coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the core material used in the coil. It is also affected by the relative permeability of the materials and the shape and size of the coil.

4. How does the flux density affect the performance of a DC-DC converter?

The flux density in a DC-DC converter coil is directly related to the amount of energy that can be transferred from the input to the output. Higher flux density results in higher energy transfer, but it can also lead to increased heat and electromagnetic interference. Therefore, it is important to carefully calculate and control the flux density in a DC-DC converter coil for optimal performance.

5. Can the flux density in a DC-DC converter coil be changed?

Yes, the flux density in a DC-DC converter coil can be changed by adjusting the current flowing through the coil or by changing the core material. However, it is important to consider the potential trade-offs in terms of performance and efficiency when making these changes.