DC charging circuit Calculating I, V, and Z?

In summary: Assume a 50% duty cycle pulse on the pulse forming network, and use the same equation as above to find the peak current.
HMS-776
I have a few questions on DC resonant charging circuits. The circuit only has a few practical applications, most noteably Radar and there is very little info online about it. If anyone could help, I would be very thankful...

1. What would be used to calculate max current in the circuit?

-Characteristic Impedance
-Circuit Series Resistance
-Characteristic Impedance and Circuit Series Resistance
-Neither?

2. What would be used to calculate current rise time in the circuit

-L/R and RC time constants
-di/dt=v/L
-Neither

3. If the LC circuit has a diode placed in it, and the circuit were given a 50% duty cycle pulse, would the inductor field collapse also be 50% duty cycle, causing the cap to be charged by a DC, instead of a pulsed DC source?

Engineering news on Phys.org
HMS-776 said:
I have a few questions on DC resonant charging circuits. The circuit only has a few practical applications, most noteably Radar and there is very little info online about it. If anyone could help, I would be very thankful...

1. What would be used to calculate max current in the circuit?

-Characteristic Impedance
-Circuit Series Resistance
-Characteristic Impedance and Circuit Series Resistance
-Neither?

2. What would be used to calculate current rise time in the circuit

-L/R and RC time constants
-di/dt=v/L
-Neither

3. If the LC circuit has a diode placed in it, and the circuit were given a 50% duty cycle pulse, would the inductor field collapse also be 50% duty cycle, causing the cap to be charged by a DC, instead of a pulsed DC source?

Do you have a link to the circuit, or can you post an example? "DC" and "resonant" don't usually go together...

As an example the circuit is usually connected to a AC transformer and a rectifier to turn it into straight dc. From there it is just a single inductor (in this case known as a charging choke) and a capacitor.

http://www.tpub.com/content/armymunitions/mm50058/mm500580084.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
The book
Principles of Radar
Third edition
By Reintjes & Coate
Has a description of this circuit with theory of operation.

Assuming that you are asking about resonant charging circuit only:
If I were doing the calculating, would do it as follows
1 Assume that have power supply with zero impedance.
This power supply is suddenly connected to an inductor (charging reactor) in series with a capacitor (total capacitance of pulse forming network)
It should then be easy to use a circuit analysis program to calculate the peak current on the first cycle.

2 Fr=1/(2*pi*(LC)^1/2)
Fr is resonant frequency
L and C as above
Rise time is the same as a circuit with this frequency.

3 The LC circcuit is always charged by a DC source.

What is a DC charging circuit?

A DC charging circuit is a circuit that uses direct current (DC) to charge a battery or power a device. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery or power supply, and a load, such as a device or battery that needs to be charged.

How do you calculate current (I) in a DC charging circuit?

To calculate the current in a DC charging circuit, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω). This formula is known as Ohm's Law.

How do you calculate voltage (V) in a DC charging circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a DC charging circuit, you can use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage in volts (V), I is the current in amperes (A), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω). This formula is known as Ohm's Law.

How do you calculate impedance (Z) in a DC charging circuit?

To calculate the impedance in a DC charging circuit, you can use the formula Z = V/I, where Z is the impedance in ohms (Ω), V is the voltage in volts (V), and I is the current in amperes (A). This formula is similar to Ohm's Law, but it is used specifically for AC circuits.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculations in a DC charging circuit?

The accuracy of calculations in a DC charging circuit can be affected by factors such as the quality of the components used, the temperature, and the age of the components. Additionally, the presence of any resistors, capacitors, or inductors in the circuit can also impact the accuracy of calculations.