Calculating flux via divergence theorem.

In summary, Homework Equations states that the flux of a vector field through a given surface is zero. However, this flux is only valid for a closed surface, and is calculated by converting to polar coordinates and applying the divergence theorem.
dustbin

Homework Statement

Compute the flux of [itex] \vec{F} [/itex] through [itex]z=e^{1-r^2} [/itex] where [itex] \vec{F} = [x,y,2-2z]^T [/itex] and [itex] r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/itex].

EDIT: the curve must satisfy [itex] z\geq 0 [/itex].

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem: [tex] \iint\limits_{\partial X} \Phi_{\vec{F}} = \iiint\limits_X \nabla\cdot\vec{F}\,dx\,dy\,dz [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the given [itex] \vec{F} [/itex], we have [itex] \nabla\cdot\vec{F} = 0 [/itex]. So isn't the flux just zero by the divergence theorem? I am confused because there is a hint saying that I should change the given surface to a simpler one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi dustbin! :wink:
dustbin said:
For the given [itex] \vec{F} [/itex], we have [itex] \nabla\cdot\vec{F} = 0 [/itex]. So isn't the flux just zero by the divergence theorem?

correct :smile:

but that's only for a closed surface …

so find another (simpler) surface that you can join to this surface to make a closed surface :wink:

Thanks for the tip tiny-tim! I should note that I forgot to put the restriction [itex] z\geq 1 [/itex] on the given surface. I will think about your suggestion and post back!

Since [itex] X [/itex] must be a compact domain in [itex] \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex], we must bound from below the region bounded above by the given surface. Since [itex] z\geq 1 [/itex], setting [itex] 1=e^{1-r^2} [/itex] gives the (simpler) surface [itex] x^2+y^2=1 [/itex]. The union of this disc and the given surface form the boundary, [itex] \partial X [/itex], of a compact region [itex] X [/itex] of [itex] \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex]. Hence we may now apply the divergence theorem.

hi dustbin! :smile:

yes, i think that's right

(except that I'm not sure which surface you mean … x2+y2 = 1 is a cylinder :wink:)

I meant [itex] x^2+y^2 = 1 [/itex] to be confined to the plane [itex] z=1 [/itex]. Thank you! :redface:

To take it all the way:

Call [itex] S_1 [/itex] the given surface and [itex] S_2 [/itex] the new surface so that [itex] S_1\cup S_2 = \partial X [/itex]. Observe that [itex] \Phi_{\vec{F}} = x\,dy\wedge dz - y\,dx\wedge dz + (2-2z)\,dx\wedge dy [/itex]. Parametrize [itex] S_2 [/itex] via [itex] x=r\cos\theta, \ y=r\sin\theta, \ z=1 [/itex] such that [itex] \theta \in [0,2\pi) \ , \ 0\leq r \leq 1 [/itex]. Call this parametrization [itex] \gamma [/itex]. Then [itex] \Phi_{\vec{F}}(\gamma) = (2-2)r = 0. [/itex] Applying the theorem, we have

[tex]
0 = \iiint\limits_X \nabla\cdot\vec{F}\,dx\,dy\,dz = \iint\limits_{S_1} \Phi_{\vec{F}} + \iint\limits_{S_2} \Phi_{\vec{F}} = \iint\limits_{S_1} \Phi_{\vec{F}}.
[/tex]

Thus the flux of [itex] \vec{F} [/itex] across [itex] S_1 [/itex] is 0.

that's very complicated :redface:

isn't it simpler to keep to x,y,z. and say that F on the surface is (x,y,0)T, and so … ? :wink:

The way that I did it is the only way I know to calculate flux. :redface:

dustbin said:
The way that I did it is the only way I know to calculate flux. :redface:

flux is just F·ñ

why do you need to convert to polar coordinates to calculate what (on this surface) is obviously 0 ?? :wink:

Is [itex] \hat{\textbf{n}} [/itex] the orienting normal?

yüp! :smile:

I see. The text I use doesn't use standard notation, so when I look at other books or sites about vector calculus, I feel hopelessly lost with the notation!

Thank you for your help :-)

1. What is the divergence theorem and how does it relate to calculating flux?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of its divergence over a closed surface. In simpler terms, it allows us to calculate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface by evaluating the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume.

2. What is flux and why is it important?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface. It is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of vector fields, which have many real-world applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

3. How is the divergence theorem applied in practice?

In practice, the divergence theorem is used to solve problems involving the calculation of flux through a closed surface. It is particularly useful in situations where the surface is complex or difficult to visualize, as it allows us to calculate the flux without directly integrating over the surface.

4. What are the prerequisites for understanding and using the divergence theorem?

A basic understanding of vector calculus, including vector fields, line integrals, and surface integrals, is necessary to understand and use the divergence theorem. Familiarity with the concept of divergence is also helpful.

5. Can the divergence theorem be applied to any vector field?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be applied to any vector field, as long as the field is defined and continuous over the enclosed volume. However, in some cases, a closed surface may not exist or may be difficult to determine, making the application of the theorem impractical.