Calculating force applied from an expanding disk

In summary, the author is working to calculate the torque capacity of a centrifugal clutch. The author has attached images that illustrate the mechanism and the clutch pack. The author assumes that the force from each spring is evenly distributed and the net force is zero.
knight92
Hello,

I need to calculate the force applied within a clutch pack by an expanding disk. Can you guys tell me if there is anyway to do this? I am working to find the torque capacity of a centrifugal clutch using the equation:

Torque Capacity = 2/3 * COF * n * F * Radius Gyration
where COF = coefficient of friction of clutch
n = number of friction surfaces
F = force applied (Applied by the expanding disk)

This clutch I am dealing with contains an expansion disk. The expansion disk has weighted shoes placed on ramps inside it and the weighted shoes are held in by springs which provide a tension of 80 Newtons. Once the clutch rotates at a certain speed, due to the centrifugal force the shoes start sliding up the ramp acting against the spring tension. The weighted shoes are tapered which means as they slide up the disk expands. Now because I know the spring tension I know how much force is experienced by the weighted shoes. If there are six of these around the whole expansion disk, is there anyway I can get an estimate of the force applied to the whole clutch pack? Please see the images I have attached for more detail about the mechanism (Fig1) and the clutch pack (Fig2). Will I be right in assuming since there are six of these around the disk then 80*6 = 480 Newtons is the total force applied to the clutch pack?

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 427
  • Fig2.jpg
    Fig2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 387
Engineering news on Phys.org
1. the spring tension is not a constant - it changes as the shoes move.
2. use a free body diagram to work out the forces on the shoes - when they are in equilibrium, the forces sum to zero.
3. isolate the force you are interested in.

Will I be right in assuming since there are six of these around the disk then 80*6 = 480 Newtons is the total force applied to the clutch pack?
"force applied to the clutch pack from what?
Since the force from each spring is equal and evenly distributed in many directions the net force on the disk is going to be zero.
The forces all act radially so they do not exert a torque.
So you need to clear your thinking ... that does "force applied by expanding disk" mean? Where does it act and how?

What is the formula for calculating the force applied from an expanding disk?

The formula for calculating the force applied from an expanding disk is F = P * A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the disk.

How do you determine the pressure on an expanding disk?

The pressure on an expanding disk is determined by dividing the force by the area of the disk. This can be represented by the formula P = F/A.

Can the force applied from an expanding disk be negative?

No, the force applied from an expanding disk cannot be negative. Force is a vector quantity and always has a positive magnitude.

What factors can affect the calculation of force applied from an expanding disk?

The main factors that can affect the calculation of force applied from an expanding disk are the pressure and the area of the disk. Other factors such as the material properties of the disk and external forces may also have an impact.

How is the area of an expanding disk determined?

The area of an expanding disk can be determined by multiplying the radius of the disk by pi (π). This can be represented by the formula A = π * r^2, where r is the radius of the disk.