Troubleshooting Clutch Torque Calculation Errors: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of clutch torque output using a formula that involves force, gyration radius, and coefficient of friction. The poster initially gets the answer of 83.4 when using metric units, but when using imperial units, the answer is 142ft lb or 192Nm. They question if their error was using kg instead of Newtons, but others point out that kg is a standard unit for pressure plate clamp load. The conversation ends with a suggestion to show all the working and units used to identify any calculation errors.
confused2016
Hi, first time poster.

I'm trying to calculate the clutch torque output using the following formula:
torque = force (450KG ((pressure plate calculated force) x gyration radius ( 0.09 Metres (( square root of inner radius squared x outer radius squared divided by 2) x coefficient of friction ( .30) x 2 (number of surfaces.

When i do the calculation the answer I get is 83.4- this has to be wrong. If i do the same calculation but with imperial values ( 950lb x 0.3 ft x 0.3 CF x 2 surfaces) I get 142ft lb, which equals 192Nm.

Is my error using kg when i should be using Newtons? If so, I'm still baffled as to how to solve this. Apologies if this is a basic question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please use the homework template, it makes it much easier to help.

confused2016 said:
force (450KG ((pressure plate calculated force)
Where did this come from? Is kg a unit of force?

Likes confused2016
I believe that to Kg rating is a industry standard for Pressure plate Clamp load. I've seen it quoted that 950Lbs (430Kg) is a rough guideline for a 10" (254mm) clutch disc

I get the same answer in SI and imperial and neither match yours, I'd guess you've made some calculation errors.
You can use any units you like, as long as you are consistent the answers will always be right.

Show all your working with all units, so we can see where you went wrong.

1. What is clutch torque and why is it important?

Clutch torque is the amount of rotational force that a clutch can transfer from the engine to the transmission. It is important because it determines the maximum amount of power that can be transmitted from the engine to the wheels.

2. How is clutch torque calculated?

Clutch torque is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the clutch disc and flywheel by the pressure applied by the clutch springs, and then multiplying that by the radius of the clutch. This can be represented by the equation T = µ * P * R.

3. What factors affect clutch torque?

The main factors that affect clutch torque include the coefficient of friction, the pressure applied by the clutch springs, and the radius of the clutch. Other factors such as temperature, wear and tear, and lubrication can also have an impact on clutch torque.

4. How can clutch torque be increased?

Clutch torque can be increased by using a clutch with a higher coefficient of friction, increasing the pressure applied by the clutch springs, or by increasing the radius of the clutch. However, it is important to keep in mind that increasing clutch torque beyond the capabilities of the engine and transmission can lead to damage and failure.

5. Can clutch torque be changed after installation?

While it is possible to adjust the pressure applied by the clutch springs to some extent, clutch torque cannot be significantly changed after installation. This is why it is important to carefully calculate and select the appropriate clutch torque for the specific engine and transmission setup before installation.