Calculating G-Force on Gravitron Ride

• Thread starter Sterling07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    G-force
In summary, the problem is to calculate the g-forces experienced by riders on a carnival ride called the "gravitron" which spins them in a circle. The given information includes a centripetal velocity of 20.9439m/s and a radius of 3.0 meters. To calculate the g-forces, the equation V^2/r divided by Earth's gravity (9.81m/s^2) can be used. The attempted solution resulted in a value of approximately 14g's, which may be dangerous for riders.
Sterling07

Homework Statement

i have a question where i need to calculate the g's experienced by people on a carnival ride called the "gravitron" the ride simply spins riders around in a circle. i have calculated Vc(centripetal velocity) to be 20.9439m/s and the radius is 3.0 meters... how would i calculate the g's experienced by the riders?

Homework Equations

i think i would use V^2/r then divide that by Earth's gravity(9.81m/s^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

the g-force i got was around 14g's but that would probably kill you??...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sterling07 said:

Homework Statement

i have a question where i need to calculate the g's experienced by people on a carnival ride called the "gravitron" the ride simply spins riders around in a circle. i have calculated Vc(centripetal velocity) to be 20.9439m/s and the radius is 3.0 meters... how would i calculate the g's experienced by the riders?

Homework Equations

i think i would use V^2/r then divide that by Earth's gravity(9.81m/s^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

the g-force i got was around 14g's but that would probably kill you??...

Yes, you can find out how many g's are experienced by dividing the centripetal acceleration by g.
But post the full text of the problem. Otherwise we can't tell if your intermediate results are correct or not.

1. How is G-force calculated on a Gravitron ride?

G-force is calculated by dividing the acceleration of the ride by the acceleration due to gravity. The acceleration of the ride can be measured using sensors and the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. What is the maximum G-force experienced on a Gravitron ride?

The maximum G-force experienced on a Gravitron ride can vary, but it is typically around 3-4 G's. However, this can be affected by factors such as the speed of the ride and the angle of rotation.

3. How does the radius of the Gravitron ride affect the G-force experienced?

The radius of the Gravitron ride does not directly affect the G-force experienced. However, a larger radius allows for a longer period of rotation, which can result in a higher G-force being experienced.

4. Is it possible to calculate G-force on a Gravitron ride without specialized equipment?

No, specialized equipment is needed to accurately measure the acceleration of the ride and calculate the G-force. This equipment includes sensors and data analysis tools.

5. How does body position affect the G-force experienced on a Gravitron ride?

The body position of the rider can affect the G-force experienced on a Gravitron ride. For example, sitting upright will result in a lower G-force compared to lying flat. This is because the force is distributed differently throughout the body depending on the position.