Calculating Gas Temperature Change Using the Ideal Gas Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a gas being compressed to a smaller volume and a question about the new temperature of the gas. The equation p1v1/t1=p2v2/t2 is used to solve for t2, with the correct answer being 307K. There is a brief moment of confusion about the calculation, but it is eventually resolved.
turnip

Homework Statement

A gas at 293.15 degrees kelvin and atmospheric pressure is compressed to a volume one fifteenth as large as its original volume and absolute pressure of 3000kPa. What is the new temperature of the gas?

Homework Equations

p1v1/t1=p2v2/t2

The Attempt at a Solution

if i rearrange the equation above for t2 i get t2=101/293.15 x 3000 x 1/15= 1.722x10-3

if i do it the wrong way and flip the divisions around so that t2=293.15 x 3000 x 1/15/101 =580.49

i take the 580 - 273 =307

307 is the right answer. perhaps i am doing it the right way, i just don't understand how this could be correct
please explain this to me

Physics news on Phys.org
turnip said:
if i rearrange the equation above for t2 i get t2=101/293.15 x 3000 x 1/15= 1.722x10-3

u r getting it 1/t2 and not t2.. verify urself.

haha can't believe i didnt get that
i need more sleep :P

oh and thanks :)

Related to Calculating Gas Temperature Change Using the Ideal Gas Law

1. How do you calculate gas temperature change using the Ideal Gas Law?

To calculate gas temperature change using the Ideal Gas Law, you will need to use the formula PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. Rearrange the formula to solve for T: T = PV/nR. This will give you the temperature change in Kelvin. To convert to Celsius, simply subtract 273.15 from the Kelvin temperature.

2. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a formula that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What units should be used when using the Ideal Gas Law?

The units used in the Ideal Gas Law should be consistent. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and the number of moles in moles (mol). However, any unit of pressure, volume, or number of moles can be used as long as they are consistent throughout the equation.

4. What are the assumptions of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law makes several assumptions about gases in order to simplify the equation and make it more applicable to real-world situations. These assumptions include that the gas particles have negligible volume, there are no intermolecular forces between particles, and the particles are in constant, random motion.

5. Can the Ideal Gas Law be used for all gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. At higher pressures or low temperatures, the behavior of real gases may deviate from the ideal behavior predicted by the Ideal Gas Law. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law assumes that the gas particles are non-interacting, which may not be the case for some gases with strong intermolecular forces.