Calculating gauge pressure in lungs to produce certain speeds

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gauge pressure in the lungs needed to generate a sneeze at a speed of 150km/hr. The density of air is given as 1.3 kg/m^3 and the Bernoulli equation is suggested as a possible solution.
tooperoo

Homework Statement

The human sneeze can reach speeds of 150km/hr. Calculate the gauge pressure in the lungs required to generate a flow with this speed at atmospheric pressure. Assume the density of the air is constant at 1.3 kg/m^3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving to get the gauge pressure but i need the height to do this. Also, i tried working with fluid formulas that have velocity in them but i keep getting stuck due to not having all the variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think you could use the Bernoulli equation with the speed in the lungs set to zero. After all it starts out stationary.

I might give that a go bud. Thanks!

1. How is gauge pressure calculated in the lungs?

The gauge pressure in the lungs refers to the difference between the internal pressure of the lungs and the atmospheric pressure. To calculate this, you would need to measure the pressure inside the lungs using a device called a manometer, and then subtract the atmospheric pressure from that measurement.

2. What is the purpose of calculating gauge pressure in the lungs?

The calculation of gauge pressure in the lungs is important in understanding the mechanics of breathing. It allows us to measure the force of air movement in and out of the lungs, which is necessary for proper oxygen exchange and maintaining a healthy respiratory system.

3. How does gauge pressure affect the speed of air flow in the lungs?

The gauge pressure in the lungs directly affects the speed of air flow. As the pressure increases, the air flows faster, and as the pressure decreases, the air flows slower. This is due to the relationship between pressure and velocity, known as Bernoulli's principle.

4. Can gauge pressure be manipulated to produce certain speeds in the lungs?

Yes, the gauge pressure in the lungs can be manipulated to produce certain speeds. By adjusting the force of the muscles involved in breathing and the volume of the lungs, the pressure can be altered to achieve a desired speed of air flow. This is important for activities such as singing or playing wind instruments.

5. What factors can affect gauge pressure in the lungs?

There are several factors that can affect gauge pressure in the lungs, including the strength and efficiency of the respiratory muscles, the size and elasticity of the lungs, and any obstructions or resistance in the airways. Other external factors such as altitude and temperature can also impact the gauge pressure in the lungs.