Calculating half power frequency/cutoff frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses solving two problems involving calculating half power frequency for circuits with different impedances and capacitor behaviors. The first problem has a voltage ratio of 1/2√2 while the second problem has a voltage ratio of 1/√2, due to the behavior of capacitors at higher frequencies. The maximum output for both circuits occurs at ω = 0 and approaches 1 as ω increases.
vishwesh

Homework Statement

*(Problems attached as images)*

For first problem:

##\cfrac{|V_2|}{|V_1|} = \cfrac{1}{\sqrt{4+(\omega RC)^2}}##

For second problem:

##\cfrac{|V_2|}{|V_1|} = \cfrac{\sqrt{1+(\omega RC)^2}}{\sqrt{4 + (\omega RC)^2}}##

I have to calculate half power frequency for both cases.

Homework Equations

At half power frequency, power absorbed by circuit = max power/2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I cannot understand why the problem was solved differently in both cases. In first problem,##\cfrac{V_2}{V_1}## was set to ##\cfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}## and in the second problem it was set to ##\cfrac{1}{2}##. While in both problems, max value of ##\cfrac{V_2}{V_1}## occurs at ##\omega = 0## and is equal to ##\cfrac{1}{2}##.

Can someone please clear this doubt?

Thanks

Attachments

• Doubt_1.JPG
    Doubt_1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 733
  • Doubt_2.JPG
    Doubt_2.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 733
Physics news on Phys.org
Svein said:
Power = Voltage * Current
Thanks for the reply. But, I didn't get you. I am familiar with that formula. I understand that we use that formula to substitute ##\cfrac{|V_2|}{|V_1|} = \cfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## but how does it explain the ##\cfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}## part ?

Thanks again.

When the impedance is reduced, the current increases. Thus the power ratio is not equal to the voltage ratio.

When the impedance is reduced, the current increases. Thus the power ratio is not equal to the voltage ratio.

vishwesh said:
I cannot understand why the problem was solved differently in both cases. In first problem,##\cfrac{V_2}{V_1}## was set to ##\cfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}## and in the second problem it was set to ##\cfrac{1}{2}##. While in both problems, max value of ##\cfrac{V_2}{V_1}## occurs at ##\omega = 0## and is equal to ##\cfrac{1}{2}##.

Can someone please clear this doubt?

Thanks
Check again the frequency and maximum output for the second circuit. How do capacitors behave with frequency?

For the second solution shown, I think the magnitude of the voltage ratio should have been set to ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## rather than ##\frac{1}{2}##

gneill said:
Check again the frequency and maximum output for the second circuit. How do capacitors behave with frequency?

For the second solution shown, I think the magnitude of the voltage ratio should have been set to ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## rather than ##\frac{1}{2}##

Thanks for the reply. I think I got it. The max output should be 1 when ##\omega \rightarrow \infty##?

vishwesh said:
Thanks for the reply. I think I got it. The max output should be 1 when ##\omega \rightarrow \infty##?
Yup. The capacitor starts to look like a short at high frequencies.

1. What is the definition of half power frequency/cutoff frequency?

The half power frequency, also known as cutoff frequency, is the point at which the output power of a circuit is half of its maximum power. It is commonly used in the field of signal processing to determine the bandwidth of a filter or amplifier.

2. How is the half power frequency/cutoff frequency calculated?

The cutoff frequency can be calculated using the formula fc = 1/(2πRC), where fc is the cutoff frequency, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance in the circuit. This formula applies to both low-pass and high-pass filters.

3. What is the significance of the half power frequency/cutoff frequency in electronic circuits?

The half power frequency is an important parameter in electronic circuits because it determines the frequency range of signals that can pass through a filter or amplifier. It is also used to calculate the bandwidth and frequency response of a circuit.

4. Can the half power frequency/cutoff frequency be adjusted?

Yes, the cutoff frequency can be adjusted by changing the values of the components in the circuit, such as the resistance and capacitance. For example, increasing the resistance will decrease the cutoff frequency in a low-pass filter, while increasing the capacitance will increase the cutoff frequency in a high-pass filter.

5. What are some common applications of the half power frequency/cutoff frequency?

The half power frequency is used in a variety of applications, including audio and video processing, telecommunications, and electronic filters. It is also used in biomedical engineering to analyze signals from the human body, such as ECG and EEG signals.