Calculating Heat Loss in Long Pipe Transfer with Octave

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat loss over a long pipe while considering the lambda value of the pipe. The person is using Octave to find a suitable flow rate that minimizes temperature loss at a reasonable pressure. The given variables include the lambda value, inner and outer radii of the pipe, pipe distance, and initial and outside temperatures. Assumptions include laminar flow and no vertical variations. The person also shares their attempt at a solution using different equations and variables, but they are unsure of the accuracy and how to relate it to flow rate. They mention that lambda has units of w/mK.
Philip West

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I hope that you guys could lend me a hand.
I need to calculate the heat loss at any point over a long pipe while considering lambda of the pipe. I am trying to use octave to find a reasonable flow-rate to keep the temperature loss to a minimum at a reasonable pressure.

lambda= 0.02
inner radius=0.1m
outer radius=0.2m
Distance=4000m
initial inside temperature 100C
outside temperature=10C

Assumptions:
laminar flow.
no vertical variations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

%Heat loss long distance transfer
%Initial Settings
PipeRadiusInside=0.1;
PipeRadiusOutside=0.2;
TotalPipeDistance=1000;
Time=1;
PipeSegmentLength=16;
OutsideTemperature=10;
InsulatingCapacity=0.020;
Temperature=[];
CurrentTemperature=100;
i=0;
%%
PipeThickness=PipeRadiusOutside-PipeRadiusInside;
Resistance=((PipeThickness*log(PipeRadiusOutside/PipeRadiusInside))/InsulatingCapacity); U=1/Resistance;
TemperatureDifference=CurrentTemperature-OutsideTemperature; SegmentVolume=2*pi*PipeSegmentLength; EnergyOfWater=4.2*TemperatureDifference*SegmentVolume*0.9982;
while i<TotalPipeDistance/Time i=i+PipeSegmentLength; Temperature=[Temperature CurrentTemperature]; HeatLoss=2*pi*PipeRadiusOutside*U*TemperatureDifference*PipeSegmentLength; EnergyOfWater=EnergyOfWater-HeatLoss; CurrentTemperature=((EnergyOfWater-HeatLoss)/(4.2*SegmentVolume*0.9982))+OutsideTemperature; TemperatureDifference=CurrentTemperature-OutsideTemperature;
end plot(Temperature)It gives me results which look like the could be right as it reacts to changes in variables correctly but it is definitely incorrect. Also I do not know how to relate it to flow rate.
I really need help and would be thankful for an example.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does lambda have any units associated with it?

SteamKing said:
Does lambda have any units associated with it?
Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that. (w/mK)

1. How do I calculate heat loss in a long pipe transfer?

To calculate heat loss in a long pipe transfer, you will need to know the thermal conductivity of the material of the pipe, the pipe diameter, the length of the pipe, and the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the pipe. Once you have this information, you can use the appropriate formula or software program, such as Octave, to calculate the heat loss.

2. What is Octave and how does it help with calculating heat loss?

Octave is a free and open-source programming language and software that is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It has built-in functions and libraries that allow for complex mathematical calculations, making it a useful tool for calculating heat loss in long pipe transfers.

3. Can I use Octave for calculating heat loss in any type of pipe material?

Yes, Octave can be used for calculating heat loss in any type of pipe material as long as you have the necessary information, such as thermal conductivity, diameter, length, and temperature difference. However, some specialized materials may require additional calculations or considerations.

4. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using Octave for calculating heat loss in long pipe transfers?

Like any software or mathematical model, there may be limitations or assumptions when using Octave for calculating heat loss in long pipe transfers. These may include assumptions about the material properties, simplifications of the heat transfer process, or limitations in the equations used. It is important to carefully review the results and consider any potential sources of error.

5. Can Octave also calculate other parameters related to heat loss, such as pipe insulation thickness?

Yes, Octave has the capability to calculate other parameters related to heat loss, such as pipe insulation thickness. This can be done by incorporating additional equations or functions into the calculation process. However, it is important to ensure that all necessary data and assumptions are accurately accounted for in order to obtain reliable results.