Validate the Stefan Boltzmann equation

In summary, the problem involves validating the Stefan Boltzmann equation by measuring the irradiance at a temperature of 109C. The emissivity of the thermal heat source is given as 0.81 and the thermopile measures 0 W/m2 at 27C when directed towards a blackbody. The solution involves calculating a correction factor and then adding it to the measured irradiance to get the actual value, which is 372 W/m2 less than the measured value.
tomadevil

Homework Statement

You are performing an experiment to validate the Stefan Boltzmann equation. What irradiance would you measure at a temperature of 109C? The emissivity of your thermal heat source is 0.81 and your thermopile measures 0 W/m2 at 27 C when directed towards a blackbody. Submit your answer in units of W/m2, do not include the units in your answer.

Answer tolerance is +/- 0.2%.

Homework Equations

E=σeT^4

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I presume I have to work out a correction factor like this:
Ec=081*5.67E-8*300^4=372 W/m2
Then calculate measured irradiance:
E=5.67E-8*382^4*1=1207
Then I have to add the correction factor Ec to E to get the measured irradiance (Em):
Em=Ec+E=1579 w/m2

Am I doing it right?

Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

1. Why do you assume the emissivity to be 1 when the temperature is 382 K?
2. Why do you add (and not subtract) the correction factor? Just think that your zero is at 372 W/m2.

1. Ohh, I get it know. I used 1 because of the blackbody, but I know now that is irrelevant. :)
2.I added the correction factor because the thermopile should measure 0 at 0 Kelvin. Therefore, the measured irradiance is always less by 372 W/m2.

Likes DoItForYourself
Exactly, the measured E must be less than the real by 372 W/m2. So, Emeasured=Ereal-Ecorrection.

Your equation implies that the measured E is bigger than the real E (by 372 W/m2).

Ohh, yes. I understand it know. Thank you! :-)

1. What is the Stefan Boltzmann equation?

The Stefan Boltzmann equation is a fundamental law in thermodynamics that relates the amount of radiation emitted by a black body to its temperature. It is expressed as E = σT^4, where E is the energy emitted per unit surface area, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the absolute temperature of the black body.

2. Why is it important to validate the Stefan Boltzmann equation?

The Stefan Boltzmann equation is used in many fields, including astronomy, meteorology, and materials science. It is crucial to validate this equation to ensure its accuracy and reliability in predicting the behavior of black bodies in different environments and temperatures.

3. How is the Stefan Boltzmann equation validated?

The Stefan Boltzmann equation can be validated through experimental measurements of the radiation emitted by black bodies at different temperatures. These measurements can then be compared to the predicted values from the equation. Additionally, the equation can also be validated using theoretical and mathematical calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to the Stefan Boltzmann equation?

While the Stefan Boltzmann equation is a useful tool for predicting the behavior of black bodies, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the black body is a perfect emitter and does not take into account factors such as the material composition, surface properties, and radiation absorption. These limitations can affect the accuracy of the equation in real-world applications.

5. How does the Stefan Boltzmann equation relate to the greenhouse effect?

The Stefan Boltzmann equation is used in climate science to understand the Earth's energy budget and the role of greenhouse gases in trapping heat. The equation shows that the energy emitted by a planet is proportional to its temperature to the fourth power. This means that as the Earth's temperature increases, more energy is emitted into the atmosphere, leading to a rise in global temperatures.