Calculating How many load repititions can be applied before failure

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a repeated tensile load on a metal rod with a diameter of 10 mm and a tensile strength of 290 MPa. The question is how many load repetitions can be applied to the rod before it fails, for two different magnitudes of load: 5 kN and 11 kN. The initial attempt at a solution involves determining the fatigue strength of the material and using an S-N curve to compute the applied tensile stress on the rod. The person asking for advice is not looking for someone to do the problem for them, but rather seeking guidance on the steps needed to solve it.
Jim4592

Homework Statement

A metal rod having a diameter of 10 mm is subjected to a repeated tensile load. The material of the rod has a tensile strength of 290 MPa. How many load repetitions can be applied to this rod before it fails if the magnitude of the load is (a) 5 kN, and (b) 11 kN?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to go about setting this problem up, I was hoping someone out there could show me what I need to do first, second, etc.

I'm not looking for someone to do this for me, just looking for some advice on what I can do, or read to answer this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim4592: First, what is the fatigue strength of this material? Are you using an S-N curve? Can you post the S-N curve? Also, compute the applied tensile stress on the rod.

Related to Calculating How many load repititions can be applied before failure

1. How do you determine the load capacity for a specific material?

The load capacity for a material can be determined by conducting a series of tests called fatigue tests. These tests involve applying a gradually increasing load to the material and measuring how many repetitions it can withstand before failure.

2. What factors affect the number of load repetitions a material can withstand?

The number of load repetitions a material can withstand before failure is affected by various factors such as the type of material, its composition, manufacturing process, surface finish, and environmental conditions.

3. What is the significance of calculating load repetitions before failure?

Calculating the number of load repetitions a material can withstand before failure is crucial in determining its durability and reliability. It helps engineers and scientists design structures and products that can withstand the expected load and avoid failure.

4. Can the number of load repetitions vary for different types of loads?

Yes, the number of load repetitions a material can withstand can vary for different types of loads. This is because different loads can have different magnitudes, frequencies, and stress distributions, which can affect the material's fatigue life.

5. What is the role of stress analysis in determining load repetitions before failure?

Stress analysis plays a vital role in determining load repetitions before failure as it helps to identify areas of high stress concentration in a material. This information is then used to calculate the fatigue life of the material and determine the number of load repetitions it can withstand before failure.