Factor of Safety - Mechanics of Materials

In summary, the problem involves determining the minimum diameter required for a rigid beam supported by double shear pin connections and a tie rod, subject to a uniformly distributed load and a factor of safety of 3.5. Using relevant equations and calculations, the minimum diameters required for the tie rod and double shear pins at B, C, and D are 188.6 mm, 51.6 mm, and 46.1 mm, respectively. However, there are errors in the calculations that need to be corrected.
Triathlete

Homework Statement

Rigid beam ABC is supported as shown in the figure. The pin connections at B, C, and D are each double shear connections, and the ultimate shear strength of the pin material is 640 MPa. Tie rod (1) has a yield strength of 350 MPa. A uniformly distributed load of w = 11 kN/m is applied to the beam as shown. A factor of safety of 3.5 is required for all components. Assume a = 575 mm, b = 725 mm, c = 250 mm, and d = 525 mm.

Determine

(a) the minimum diameter required for tie rod (1).
(b) the minimum diameter required for the double shear pins at B and D.
(c) the minimum diameter required for the double shear pin at C.

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs6838/art/qb/qu/ch0/13425408508040_6521478752676759.jpg

Homework Equations

σ = F/A
τ = F/A
σallow = σfailure/FS
τallow = τfailure/FS

The Attempt at a Solution

First I got the resultant force of w → 14.3 kN/m.
I started by finding the x and y components of F1(force on the rod), which were F1cos35.9 and F1sin35.9, respectively.
Then I summed the moments about C which gave me ΣM = (-14.3 kN/m)(13m) + (0.810F1)(0.25m) = (0.5864F1)(0.725)
⇒ F1 = 14.8 kN
Using σ ≤ σallow, I plugged in my values → 14809.4 N/π(d/2)2 ≤ 350 N/mm2/3.5
⇒ drod = 188.6 mm

14809.4 N/2π(d/2)2 ≤ 640 N/mm2/3.5
⇒dB,D = 51.6 mm

Then I summed the x and y forces to get the force at C, which was C = 13.2 kN

13242.3 N/2π(d/2)2 ≤ 640 N/mm2/3.5
⇒ d = 46.1 mm

All of my d values were wrong. I have recalculated and changed the signs on my forces and moments just to see if I did that wrong but I still can't get the right answer. Am I going about the problem the wrong way? I'm just not sure where I'm going wrong and I've been working on this and a similar problem for a couple days now to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Triathlete said:

Homework Statement

Rigid beam ABC is supported as shown in the figure. The pin connections at B, C, and D are each double shear connections, and the ultimate shear strength of the pin material is 640 MPa. Tie rod (1) has a yield strength of 350 MPa. A uniformly distributed load of w = 11 kN/m is applied to the beam as shown. A factor of safety of 3.5 is required for all components. Assume a = 575 mm, b = 725 mm, c = 250 mm, and d = 525 mm.

Determine

(a) the minimum diameter required for tie rod (1).
(b) the minimum diameter required for the double shear pins at B and D.
(c) the minimum diameter required for the double shear pin at C.

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs6838/art/qb/qu/ch0/13425408508040_6521478752676759.jpg

Homework Equations

σ = F/A
τ = F/A
σallow = σfailure/FS
τallow = τfailure/FS

The Attempt at a Solution

First I got the resultant force of w → 14.3 kN/m.
You mean 14.3 kN
I started by finding the x and y components of F1(force on the rod), which were F1cos35.9 and F1sin35.9, respectively.
Then I summed the moments about C which gave me ΣM = (-14.3 kN/m)(13m) + (0.810F1)(0.25m) = (0.5864F1)(0.725)
⇒ F1 = 14.8 kN
Using σ ≤ σallow, I plugged in my values → 14809.4 N/π(d/2)2 ≤ 350 N/mm2/3.5
⇒ drod = 188.6 mm

14809.4 N/2π(d/2)2 ≤ 640 N/mm2/3.5
⇒dB,D = 51.6 mm

Then I summed the x and y forces to get the force at C, which was C = 13.2 kN

13242.3 N/2π(d/2)2 ≤ 640 N/mm2/3.5
⇒ d = 46.1 mm

All of my d values were wrong. I have recalculated and changed the signs on my forces and moments just to see if I did that wrong but I still can't get the right answer. Am I going about the problem the wrong way? I'm just not sure where I'm going wrong and I've been working on this and a similar problem for a couple days now to no avail.
You are getting a bit careless I think on math and signage, and using the wrong lever arm for the distributed load moment. The beam is 1.3 m long. Its resultant load acts at its cg when determining moments. The pins are in double shear.

PhanthomJay said:
You mean 14.3 kNYou are getting a bit careless I think on math and signage, and using the wrong lever arm for the distributed load moment. The beam is 1.3 m long. Its resultant load acts at its cg when determining moments. The pins are in double shear.

Oops I meant .65m not 1.3m. I calculated it using the 0.65 but I typed it wrong. I also thought I was calculating the stress in the pins correctly, by dividing the force by 2. Where else am I going wrong?

I will have to check your numbers I haven't done that ...when you say your force at C is the sum of the x and y components I hope you meant vector sum not algebraic sum. You have the 2 in there for dbl shear so that's ok , your approach is good I'll check math later

Your math is way off when calculating the diameters. Try again.

What is a factor of safety in mechanics of materials?

A factor of safety is a measure of how much stronger a structure or material is compared to the maximum load it is expected to bear. It is calculated by dividing the ultimate strength of the material by the maximum expected stress.

Why is a factor of safety important in engineering design?

A factor of safety is important because it ensures that a structure or material can withstand unexpected or excessive loads without failing. It also helps to account for uncertainties in design and material properties.

How is a factor of safety determined?

A factor of safety is determined by considering the expected loads, the strength and properties of the material, and any potential uncertainties or risks. It is usually calculated using mathematical equations or simulations.

What is an acceptable factor of safety in engineering?

The acceptable factor of safety can vary depending on the type of structure or material, the level of risk involved, and the applicable safety standards. In general, a factor of safety of 1.5 to 2 is considered safe and commonly used in engineering design.

Can a factor of safety be too high?

Yes, a factor of safety can be too high. While a high factor of safety means that a structure or material is very strong and can withstand a lot of stress, it can also result in excessive costs and inefficient use of materials. A balance must be struck between safety and practicality in engineering design.