Calculating how many revolutions it takes to reach the final speed

In summary, the merry-go-round reached its final speed by rotating around its center of mass (COM) for 1.15 rotations.
haven
Homework Statement
I don't understand what I am doing wrong when solving this problem. The radius of the circle is 2.6 meters which means the circumference is 2pi*2.6. If the final angular velocity is 11 rpm how do I find how many revolutions it took?
Relevant Equations
1 rev = 2pi
11 rpm equals 1.15 rad/ sec not sure how this helps contribute to the question but I solved for it just in case

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question ?

Likes berkeman
Dylan exerts a constant force of 98 N on a merry-go-round 15° from the tangential direction and is able to accelerate the ride and his friends from rest to a final angular speed of 11 rpm. The merry-go-round has a mass of 850 kg, a radius of 2.6 m, and a radius of gyration about the center of 1.9 m. Corbin (67 kg) and Andrew (63 kg) sit opposite each other on the edge of the ride.

How many revolutions did it take the merry-go-round to get to its final speed?

haven said:
Homework Statement:: I don't understand what I am doing wrong when solving this problem. The radius of the circle is 2.6 meters which means the circumference is 2pi*2.6. If the final angular velocity is 11 rpm how do I find how many revolutions it took?
Relevant Equations:: 1 rev = 2pi

11 rpm equals 1.15 rad/ sec not sure how this helps contribute to the question but I solved for it just in case
Welcome to PF. :smile:

As already mentioned, you did not post the full text of the problem statement. We need that in order to help you. We also need to see all of your calculations on the problem, in order to check those and provide hints for fixes/improvements.

haven said:
Dylan exerts a constant force of 98 N on a merry-go-round 15° from the tangential direction and is able to accelerate the ride and his friends from rest to a final angular speed of 11 rpm. The merry-go-round has a mass of 850 kg, a radius of 2.6 m, and a radius of gyration about the center of 1.9 m. Corbin (67 kg) and Andrew (63 kg) sit opposite each other on the edge of the ride.

How many revolutions did it take the merry-go-round to get to its final speed?
And your work on the solution?

berkeman said:
And your work on the solution?

Attachments

• Scanned Documents 6.jpg
    Scanned Documents 6.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 64
attachments
Unreadable. Please type your work into the forum. You can also see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window.

There are forces, torques, moment of inertia in this problem. The angular velocity of the Merry-go-round is not constant. You must apply Newton’s Laws.

Okay, nice work on the dimensional analysis - that may come in handy - but, I don't think the rest of it is necessary to solve the problem (I could be wrong : I haven't done it, myself). Can you see your way from where you're at, to the solution ?

If you don't mind me paraphrasing, you've been given :

- a disk, of
- a certain radius, mass, and​
- (unloaded) gyradius, with​
- a couple extra masses at the edge of the disk ;​
and
- a force,
- applied angled tangentially,​
- until it reaches a final angular velocity.​

You're asked to find how many revolutions it takes to reach that final angular velocity.

The equations for constant angular acceleration are analogous to those for constant linear acceleration ("SUVAT").
You have an initial (angular) velocity, a final (angular) velocity, and a constant (angular) acceleration, and you want to find the (angular) distance. What SUVAT equation does that suggest?
Can you compute that acceleration?

@haven, you will need to go through various steps to answer this question. Suggestion:

1. Find the total moment of inertia.
2. Find the applied torque.
3. Using the above answers, find the angular acceleration.
4. Using the angular acceleration, find the angle (in radians) covered to reach the find speed.
5. Convert this angle to rotations.

Post your attempt for each step - one step at a time if unsure, or several steps at a time if confident.

Likes PeroK

1. How do you calculate the number of revolutions needed to reach the final speed?

To calculate the number of revolutions, you will need to know the initial speed, final speed, and the acceleration of the object. The formula for calculating revolutions is: number of revolutions = (final speed - initial speed) / acceleration.

2. What units should be used for the calculation?

The units used for the calculation will depend on the units used for the initial speed, final speed, and acceleration. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent and in the correct format for the formula to work correctly.

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of object?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any object that is undergoing constant acceleration. This includes objects moving in a straight line or in a circular motion.

4. What if the object is not moving at a constant acceleration?

If the object is not moving at a constant acceleration, then this calculation will not give an accurate result. In this case, more complex equations may need to be used to calculate the number of revolutions needed to reach the final speed.

5. Is this calculation affected by external factors?

Yes, this calculation may be affected by external factors such as air resistance or friction. These factors can impact the acceleration of the object and may result in a slightly different number of revolutions needed to reach the final speed.