Calculating Impulse for Hailstones Striking Car Roof

• Thread starter j_suder2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the question asks for the impulse that a car roof imparts on a hailstone with a mass of 0.0650 kg and a velocity of 15 m/s when it bounces to a height of 12 cm above the car. The solution involves finding the velocity of the hailstone as it bounces, using the equation p=mv to find the downward momentum and then equating it to the upward momentum of the hailstone. The lost energy goes into denting the car roof. Solving for the velocity up, which is not equal to the velocity down, and using p=mv and J=delta(mv), where delta represents the difference between the downward and upward momentum, the impulse can be calculated.
j_suder2

Homework Statement

Hail stones of mass 0.0650 kg are falling straight down with a speed of 15 m/s when they strike a car roof. If the hailstones bounce to a height of 12 cm above the car, what is the impulse that the car roof imparts to a single hailstone?

Homework Equations

p=mv J=Ft

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the downward momentum first and then equalling it to the upward momentum of the hailstones but I am stuck on where to plug in the height of the bounce.
Do I need to find velocity or time of the hailstone on the way up first? If I found time I think I could multiply it by Force to get J (Impulse).

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the velocity up and then use p=mv, J=delta(mv) where delta means the difference between down and up (don't forget one is negative relative to the other). Velocity up isn't equal to velocity down. The lost energy goes into denting the car roof.

Thank you,
I am still not sure how to find v, we have not done any of these type of questions in class.
I have tried making both sides equal to the minus of the other, but come up with the same (15m/s) because the mass is the same. Time is also unknown so I'm not sure.
I tried to find the original height by equalling momentum on either side and came up with 0.76 meters. I used this to determine the time to fall as 0.05 s. From this I just now found the velocity up as 2.4 m/s. Now, using the info you gave me, initial p=.975 and final p=-.156.
so delta p=1.13 kg*m/s. The answer is 1.07 so I'm not sure if this is the way to do this.

1. How do you calculate the impulse of a hailstone striking a car roof?

The impulse is calculated by multiplying the force of impact by the time it takes for the hailstone to hit the car roof. This can be represented by the formula: Impulse = Force x Time.

2. What is the average force of a hailstone striking a car roof?

The average force of a hailstone depends on various factors such as the size and speed of the hailstone, as well as the impact angle. On average, it can range from 5 to 30 Newtons.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the impulse of a hailstone?

The angle of impact directly affects the impulse of a hailstone. The greater the angle, the greater the impulse, as more force is exerted on the car roof.

4. Can the impulse of a hailstone cause damage to a car roof?

Yes, the impulse of a hailstone can cause damage to a car roof, depending on the size and speed of the hailstone. The greater the impulse, the higher the chances of damage to the car roof.

5. Are there any safety measures that can reduce the impulse of a hailstone striking a car roof?

There are no specific safety measures to reduce the impulse of a hailstone striking a car roof. However, parking in a sheltered area or using a car cover can help minimize the impact of hailstones on a car roof.