Calculating the Initial Height of a Hailstone for Complete Melting on Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial height at which a hailstone must fall in order to entirely melt on impact with a sidewalk at 0°C. Using the acceleration due to gravity and the latent heat of fusion of water, the formula mgh = mL is used to calculate the height, resulting in an answer of approximately 3.367 km. However, the online homework system marked the answer incorrect, leading to a realization that a power of ten was lost during the division.
DLH112

Homework Statement

Assume that a hailstone at 0◦C falls through
air at a uniform temperature of 0◦C and lands
on a sidewalk also at this temperature.
From what initial height must the hailstone fall in order to entirely melt on impact? The acceleration due to gravity is
9.8 m/sec2
and the latent heat of fusion of
water is 3.3 × 10^5 J/kg .
Answer in units of km

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing it has to do with calculating the time based on the acceleration and height. Or maybe something to do with work being done by gravity. In any case, it seems weird that it doesn't give the mass of the hailstone. We only briefly went over this stuff on the last day of class, and I couldn't find anything too similar in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
DLH112 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing it has to do with calculating the time based on the acceleration and height. Or maybe something to do with work being done by gravity. In any case, it seems weird that it doesn't give the mass of the hailstone. We only briefly went over this stuff on the last day of class, and I couldn't find anything too similar in the book.

Yes the work being done by gravity is what will provide the latent energy for the ice to melt. So if you equate those two, what are you left with?

ah i see. something like mgh = mL and the mass cancels so gh = L or h = L/9.8

edit: 9.8 m/s2 h = 330000 J/kg
h = 330000/9.8
h = 3367.46939 m or 3.367469 km? this is wrong though... maybe i got some units wrong?

Last edited:
That should be correct, why do you say it is wrong?

its an online homework thing. it said that answer is wrong

DLH112 said:
its an online homework thing. it said that answer is wrong

You lost a power of ten when you did the division.

oh wow, thanks, I am blind xD

Related to Calculating the Initial Height of a Hailstone for Complete Melting on Impact

What is the Hailstone latent heat problem?

The Hailstone latent heat problem is a mathematical problem related to the behavior of hailstones in the Earth's atmosphere. It states that during the process of hail formation, the release of latent heat due to water vapor condensation is not enough to explain the rapid growth of hailstones.

What causes the Hailstone latent heat problem?

The Hailstone latent heat problem is caused by the fact that hailstones can grow very quickly, sometimes reaching sizes of several inches in diameter within a matter of minutes. This rapid growth cannot be fully explained by the release of latent heat from water vapor condensation alone.

What are some proposed solutions to the Hailstone latent heat problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the Hailstone latent heat problem, including the possibility of additional sources of energy, such as electrical charges within the cloud or the release of energy from ice crystals colliding with each other.

How is the Hailstone latent heat problem relevant to atmospheric science?

The Hailstone latent heat problem is relevant to atmospheric science because it highlights the complexity of the processes involved in hail formation and the need for further research to fully understand these phenomena. It also has implications for weather forecasting and severe weather prediction.

What advancements have been made in understanding the Hailstone latent heat problem?

Recent advancements in technology, such as improved radar and satellite imagery, have allowed scientists to better observe and study hail formation processes. This has led to a better understanding of the Hailstone latent heat problem and potential solutions, although it remains an area of ongoing research and debate.