Calculating Initial Velocity of a Projectile Using Free Fall Equations

In summary, the stone is thrown upward at an angle of 51° above the horizontal and reaches a maximum height of 26 m. The approach using the equation Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf can be used to find the stone's initial speed, which is 17.9 m/s. This method does not require accounting for the angle in the problem.
a18c18

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown upward at an angle of 51° above the horizontal. Its maximum height during the trajectory is 26 m. What was the stone's initial speed?
m/s

Homework Equations

a=v2/r
v2=vo2+2ax
C=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the acceleration is 9.81*sin51 since it just gravity when thrown upward so now I have to account for gravity.
so a=7.62

I plugged this into a=v2/r in order to find velocity:
7.62=v2/26
so v=14.079

The distance I got by using the equation C=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r
I got that C=163.36 and the distance is 1/4th of the circumference since the ground and highest point are perpendicular. I got 40.84 for the distance

I then plugged my answers for a, v and distance into v2=vo2+2ax to find initial velocity
I got that v=20.596 but this was incorrect. Does anyone know what I did wrong?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost correct approach, consider the vertical component of the motion.
You know the vertical accelration and maximum height - you can then work out the vertical component of the initial speed.
Alternatively you can use conservation of energy.

Okay so the vertical component of acceleration would be 9.81*cos51 right?

And then plug this into v2=vo2+2ax using 26 for x?

And how do I get the answer from the vertical and horizontal components of the initial speed?

a18c18 said:
Okay so the vertical component of acceleration would be 9.81*cos51 right?

No! Draw a picture and think first!

Moreover, your equations C=2\pi r and a=v^2/r are irrelevant: the stone does not follow a circular path

Okay thank you. I tried a new approach using the conservation of energy and the formula Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf.
This would be 1/2mVi^2+mgh=1/2mVf^2+mgh.
1/2mVi^2+m(9.81 cos 51)*0=1/2*0^2+m(9.81 cos 51)*26
1/2mVi^2=m(9.81 cos 51)*26
So after the masses cancel out, Vi should be 17.9 m/s
Did I do this correctly?

You have to lose this idea the the acceleration is cos(51).
Vertically the accelration is 9.81m/s^2 downward (or -9.81m/s^2 up if you prefer)
The horizontal accelaration is zero.

So I don't need to account for the angle any where in the problem?

Other than the acceleration is there anything else wrong my work?

You need to account for the angle in converting the vertical and horizontal velocities back into a velocity along the line for the final answer.

A really nice feature about forces is that you can split them up into components, deal with them separately and simply add them back together correctly.
So in this case we simplify it by looking at the vertical component where you know the final velocity, accelration and distance. If you had been given the total horizontla distance and time you could work out the speed using the horizontal part and ignore the vertical motion completely.

Most people find conservation of energy simpler to understand than forces - and it's much harder to get the signs wrong.

Okay thank you. so if I use the formula Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf I don't need to multiply gravity by cos(angle)?

Related to Calculating Initial Velocity of a Projectile Using Free Fall Equations

What is free fall stone physics?

Free fall stone physics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of a falling object under the influence of gravity. It involves understanding the forces and factors that affect the speed and trajectory of a falling object, such as air resistance and the mass of the object.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a falling object?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a falling object is v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time the object has been falling. This equation assumes no air resistance.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a falling object. It increases as the speed of the object increases, and eventually becomes equal to the force of gravity, causing the object to reach terminal velocity. This means that the object will no longer accelerate and will continue to fall at a constant speed.

What is the difference between free fall and free fall acceleration?

Free fall refers to the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity, without any other forces acting on it. Free fall acceleration, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of air resistance and other factors that may affect the motion of the falling object.

How does the mass of an object affect its free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, fall at the same rate in a vacuum. However, in the presence of air resistance, objects with larger mass will have a greater force of gravity acting on them and will therefore fall faster than objects with smaller mass.