Calculating Intensities of Out-of-Phase Sound Waves

In summary, two die-hard sports fans ride their motorcycle to a local game with identical air horns. One rider blasts his horn at a frequency of 10 rads/sec while the other waits to blast his horn at just the right time, creating a complex wave that is π/6 radians out of phase. The intensity of each horn is calculated to be 10^-2 w/m^2, but the resulting intensity from the phase change must be calculated through vector addition of the phasors. The sound level of each horn is 100 dB. If the bike speeds off at 100 m/s, the apparent frequency heard by a person at the intersection is the sum of the two waves. Diffraction effects can be assumed to be small
PrettyLights

Homework Statement

A pair of die-hard sports fans decide to ride their motorcycle to the local game, equipped with identical air horns. While stuck at a stoplight, one rider blasts his horn, emmiting a coninuous sound at a frequency of 10 rads/sec. The second rider waits just the right amount of time before also blasting his horn, so that the two sound waves are exactly π/6 radians out of phase (you can take the speed of sound in air to be v = 343 m/s, and the density of air to be 1.2 kg/m3).

a) If the sound level of each horn is 100 dB, what is the intensity of the total sound from the two horns? Express your answer as a numerical value in units W/m2.

b) If the light turns green and the bike then speeds off at 100 m/s with the horns still blaring, what apparent frequency is heard by a person left standing by the intersection?

Homework Equations

Sound level=10log (I/(10^/12))

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I figure I have to calculate the intensity of each horn and, if I use the equation above, it comes out to I=10^-2 w/m^2. Because the horns are out of phase by π/6 but have the same frequency, I know that complex wave is created, so I don't think the intensity would just double. How do I calculate the difference in intensity resulting from the phase change?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to add the two waves together ... this is done by vector addition of the phasors.

Note: for the purposes of the problem the wave is just another sine wave - not all that complicated at all - though IRL this would be quite hard to set up.
You are expected to assume the bikers are close enough together that diffraction effects are small.

What are out of phase sound waves?

Out of phase sound waves occur when two sound waves of the same frequency are not synchronized and interfere with each other. This results in a decrease in overall loudness or even silence depending on the degree of phase difference.

How are out of phase sound waves created?

Out of phase sound waves can be created by a variety of factors, such as reflections or diffraction from objects in the environment, or by using electronic devices like speakers and microphones that are not properly aligned. They can also occur naturally in certain environments, such as in concert halls with complex acoustics.

What are the effects of out of phase sound waves?

The effects of out of phase sound waves can range from a decrease in loudness to complete silence. This can have a significant impact on the quality of sound, especially in a musical context. Out of phase sound waves can also cause interference patterns, resulting in a distorted or muddy sound.

Can out of phase sound waves be corrected?

Yes, out of phase sound waves can be corrected by adjusting the distance or alignment of speakers and microphones, or by using specialized equipment to manipulate the phase of the sound waves. In some cases, acoustic treatment or design modifications to a space can also help reduce the occurrence of out of phase sound waves.

Are there any applications for intentionally creating out of phase sound waves?

Yes, out of phase sound waves can be intentionally created for certain sound effects in music production or sound design. They can also be used for noise cancellation in headphones or other audio devices. However, in most cases, out of phase sound waves are considered undesirable and efforts are made to minimize their occurrence.