Calculating Jupiter's Magnetic Dipole Moment Using a Dipole Approximation

In summary, the conversation discussed the magnetic field of Jupiter and its dipole moment. The equation used to approximate the field as a dipole was incorrect and was later corrected. The final result for Jupiter's magnetic dipole moment was calculated to be 6.5*10^23 A/m^2. The equation used in the calculation was ##B_{dipole} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{\vec{m}\cdot \vec{r}}{r^3}##, where ##\vec{m}## is the magnetic moment and ##\vec{r}## is the position vector of Jupiter's pole.
Noreturn

Homework Statement

Jupiter has the strongest magnetic field in our solar system, about 14 G at its poles.
Approximating the field as that of a dipole, find Jupiter's magnetic dipole moment

radius= 69.9*x10^6

Homework Equations

u=2UB
or
T=U*B

The Attempt at a Solution

T= (14x10^-4)*(.138*10^3)
.1932 A*M^2

Which is wrong
So then I tried:
2(14.4x10^-4)(.138*10^3)
.3864 A*M^2

Edit just noticed that I had units wrong on the diameter of Jupiter. If I change the calculation to:

T=(14*10^-4)(1.38*10^8)
we get: 1.932*10^5 A*M^2

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you define the meaning of the symbols in the equation T = U*B?

I don't see the equation giving the field of a dipole as a function of position among the numbers that you posted. Look for it here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_dipole

8081b701f00082f56579a1810b9285813750ca42

That one sounds more correct. M is a magnetic moment constant (14G in our case) and radius is 69.9*10^6m.

So then that works out to be:
2.6*10^29 A/M^2

Those equations were wrong because it was equation for torque. And B was magnetic strength.

Your expression ##\frac{\vec{m}\cdot \vec{r}}{4\pi r^3}## is off by a factor of 2μ0.

So equation is:

2Uo(M*r/4pir^3)

So 6.5*10^23

No, the equation is given in the Wikipedia link that I posted in #3. Use that with ##\vec{r}## being the position vector of Jupiter's pole.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured in units called teslas (T). It can also be measured in gauss (G), with 1 T being equal to 10,000 G.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the distance from the source, the size of the magnetic source, and the amount of current flowing through the source.

4. What is the difference between magnetic field strength and magnetic flux density?

Magnetic field strength is the amount of force exerted on a charged particle in a magnetic field, while magnetic flux density is the amount of magnetic field lines passing through a given area.

5. How is magnetic field strength used in everyday life?

Magnetic field strength is used in many everyday devices such as electric motors, MRI machines, and credit cards. It is also used in navigation systems, such as compasses, to determine direction.