Magnetic Torque on Dipole; Oscillating Magnet question

In summary, a cylindrical bar magnet with a mass of 0.08 kg, diameter of 1 cm, length of 3 cm, and a magnetic dipole moment of <5, 0, 0> A · m2 is suspended on a low-friction pivot in a region where external coils apply a magnetic field of <1.4, 0, 0> T. When the magnet is rotated slightly in the horizontal plane, it begins to oscillate. To find the angular frequency of the oscillation, the moment of inertia and magnetic dipole moment are used in the equation ω = √(μB/I). If the applied magnetic field were <2.8, 0, 0>
nbh

Homework Statement

A cylindrical bar magnet whose mass is 0.08 kg, diameter is 1 cm, length is 3 cm, and whose magnetic dipole moment is <5, 0, 0> A · m2 is suspended on a low-friction pivot in a region where external coils apply a magnetic field of <1.4,0,0> T

You rotate the bar magnet slightly in the horizontal plane and release it. (For small angles in radians, assume
sin(θ) ≈ θ.)

a) What is the angular frequency of the oscillating magnet?

b) What would be the angular frequency if the applied magnetic field were <2.8,0,0> T?

Homework Equations

τ[/B] = μ × B
τ = μBsinθ
ω
= qB/m
μ
= IA

The Attempt at a Solution

My first instinct was to find the magnetic torque on the magnet, using the magnet's dipole moment and the applied magnetic field, but that gives zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had just left it sitting as is, it would be zero since the magnetic dipole moment and applied magnetic field are in the same direction. But then, the problem statement says that you rotate it in the horizontal plane which presumptively is giving one of the other axes some value. It's hard to say which without a picture of the problem or defining how the magnet is oriented, but it's probably the y component.

I figured it out. Using the moment of inertia, I, for a cylinder, you can find the angular frequency of the spinning magnet.
I = (mass*length2) /12

Solve for I and use it and μ & B to solve for ω.

ω = √(μB/I)

Likes batclocks

1. What is magnetic torque on dipole?

The magnetic torque on dipole refers to the force that is exerted on a magnetic dipole when it is placed in a magnetic field. The dipole experiences a rotational force, or torque, that aligns it with the magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic torque on dipole calculated?

The magnitude of the magnetic torque on dipole is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the dipole moment of the magnet. The direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the dipole moment.

3. What factors affect the magnetic torque on dipole?

The magnetic torque on dipole is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the orientation of the dipole in relation to the field, and the strength of the dipole moment. It can also be affected by the presence of other nearby magnetic fields.

4. How does an oscillating magnet affect the magnetic torque on dipole?

An oscillating magnet produces a changing magnetic field, which can cause the magnetic torque on dipole to also oscillate. This can result in the dipole experiencing a rotational force that causes it to continually change its orientation in relation to the magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding magnetic torque on dipole?

Understanding magnetic torque on dipole is essential in the development of various technologies, such as electric motors and generators. It is also important in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines and particle accelerators. Additionally, it can help in the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on compasses and navigation systems.