Calculating Kinetic Energy for Colliding Carts

In summary, the cart with a linear elastic spring attached loses 3.24 J of kinetic energy when it collides head on with a stationary cart.
crimsondarkn
A 2.4 kg dynamics cart with a linear elastic spring attached to its front end is moving at 1.5 m/s [W] when it collides head on with a stationary 3.6 kg cart.

What is the velocity of each cart at minimum separation?

The answer is 0.6 m/s [W]

Can anyone show me the steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
crimsondarkn said:
A 2.4 kg dynamics cart with a linear elastic spring attached to its front end is moving at 1.5 m/s [W] when it collides head on with a stationary 3.6 kg cart.

What is the velocity of each cart at minimum separation?The answer is 0.6 m/s [W]

Can anyone show me the steps?
There is a very easy way to do this. Since there are no external forces, the total momentum the system does not change. What is the speed of the centre of mass? (What is the speed of the observer who sees the two cars colliding with equal and opposite momenta?)

What is the relationship between the speed of the centre of mass and the speeds relative to the centre of mass of the two cars at minimum separation?

AM

Oh I got it, thanks!

This is what I did..

m1v1+m2v2=m1v'1+m2v'2

m2v2 becomes zero since its stationary

m1v1=v'(m1+m2)

-3.6=v'(6)

v'=-3.6/6

v'= -0.6 m/s ---> 0.6m/s[W]

I didn't know it was completely elastic collision, that's why I was stuck.

I'm stuck on part c now...

Calculus the change in total kinetic energy of the system at minimum separation. Here's my work

v'=-0.6m/s

1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2+1/2m2v2'^2

cross out all the 1/2s and also v2 becomes zero

m1v1^2 = m1v1'^2 + m2v2'^2

(2.4)(-1.5)^2 = (2.4)(0.6)^2 + (3.6)(0.6)^2

5.4 = 0.864 + 1.296

5.4 = 2.16

5.4-2.16 = 3.24 J

And this is where I'm stuck...

The answer at the back is -1.6 J

crimsondarkn said:
1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2+1/2m2v2'^2

cross out all the 1/2s and also v2 becomes zero

m1v1^2 = m1v1'^2 + m2v2'^2

Don't write this as an equation (since they are not equal!) and don't cross anything out. You have the speeds and the masses, so just calculate the initial and final KEs by plugging into the KE formula. Then compare KEi to KEf. (By "final" I mean at the point of minimum separation.)

Related to Calculating Kinetic Energy for Colliding Carts

1. What is the "Cart Collision Problem"?

The Cart Collision Problem is a classic physics problem that involves two carts on a track, moving towards each other at different velocities. The goal is to calculate the final velocities of each cart after the collision.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving the Cart Collision Problem?

The key principles involved in solving the Cart Collision Problem are conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These principles state that the total momentum and total energy of a closed system remain constant before and after a collision.

3. How do you determine the final velocities of the carts after the collision?

To determine the final velocities of the carts, the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations can be used. These equations involve the masses and initial velocities of the carts, as well as the coefficient of restitution, which represents the elasticity of the collision.

4. What is the coefficient of restitution (COR) and how does it affect the collision?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a value that represents the elasticity of a collision. It ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 representing a completely inelastic collision (where objects stick together after colliding) and 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision (where objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy). The COR affects the final velocities of the carts after the collision, with a higher COR resulting in a greater final velocity change.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Cart Collision Problem?

Yes, the Cart Collision Problem has many real-world applications, such as in car accidents, sports collisions, and other types of collisions involving moving objects. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of mechanics and can be applied to more complex systems, such as multiple objects colliding at once.