Calculating Light Spot Size on the Moon for a Diffraction-Limited Laser Beam

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, a laser with a diameter of 2 mm would produce a bright spot on the surface of the moon approximately 72 miles wide, assuming small angle approximation and a wavelength of 600 nm. The distance of 240,000 miles to the moon plays a role in calculating the width of the central maximum, which may be multiplied by 2 to find the distance between the two minima on either side.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A laser is a light source that emits a diffraction-limited beam (like waves diffracting through a wide slit) of diameter 2 mm. Ignoring any scattering due to the Earth's atmosphere, calculate how big a light spot would be produced on the surface of the moon, 240,000 miles away. Assume a wavelength of approximately 600 nm.

Homework Equations

d = 2mm
L = 240,000 miles
λ = 600nm

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using a small angle approximation where Θ = λ/d from dsinΘ = λ

And so, converting the proper units, we have
Θ = (6e-7)/0.002 = 0.0003

Angle is a dimensionless unit, so this seems to be correct.

Now, if I wanted to find how big the light spot is, do I simple do
tanΘ = x/240,000 => 240,000*tan(0.0003) = x = 72 miles

Looking good?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
I am using a small angle approximation where Θ = λ/d from dsinΘ = λ
Is that the angle for the width of the central spot ?

Likes RJLiberator
Yes, I believe that is true. It is the angle for the width of the central maximum.

These guys think differently. Depends on how you define the width, I suppose. I had in mind this is the expression for the angle for the first minimum and was inclined to multiply by 2.

So, the 240,000 miles plays no part in this question then? eh?

Er, my answer seems to be incorrect. A laser would create a 72 mile bright spot on the moon? That doesn't seem reasonable. mmm.

RJLiberator said:
So, the 240,000 miles plays no part in this question then? eh?
It does play a role and you did that correctly. My hunch is they want the distance between the two minima on either side. And a 144 miles spot isn't all that big when seen from Earth (namely a viewing angle of ## \arctan 0.0006## :smile:).

Likes RJLiberator
BvU, you were absolutely correct. He accepted both answers, but he did mention the factor of 2.

Thank you for the help.

What is simple diffraction?

Simple diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through a narrow opening or around an obstacle. It causes the wave to spread out and create a pattern of interference.

What are the factors that affect simple diffraction?

The main factors that affect simple diffraction are the size of the opening or obstacle, the wavelength of the wave, and the distance between the source and the detector.

How is simple diffraction different from other types of diffraction?

Simple diffraction is different from other types of diffraction, such as double-slit diffraction or Fraunhofer diffraction, in that it only involves a single opening or obstacle. This makes it a simpler and more straightforward phenomenon to study.

What are the applications of simple diffraction?

Simple diffraction has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It is used in diffraction grating spectroscopy, which is a technique for analyzing the composition of materials. It is also used in optics, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes.

How does simple diffraction relate to the concept of diffraction limit?

The concept of diffraction limit states that the resolution of an optical instrument or device is limited by the diffraction of light. Simple diffraction plays a role in this limit as it affects the ability of the instrument to distinguish between two closely spaced objects.