Calculating linear expansion of windshield 60cm*150cm

In summary: This may be a mistake.In summary, to prevent an automobile windshield with dimensions 60cm by 150cm from breaking due to a temperature change of 200F, a minimum tolerance of 0.6mm for width and 1.5mm for height is needed, assuming a linear expansion coefficient of 9*10^-6 C-1 for glass.
**Mariam**

Homework Statement

An automobile windshield has the dimensions 60cm by 150 cm. What minimum tolerance is needed in mm to prevent the windshield from breaking if the temperature changes by 200F (the linear expansion coefficient of glass is 9*10^-6 C-1)

Homework Equations

deltaL=alpha*Li*deltaT
T(F)=1.8*T(C)+32

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changes the change in temperature from F to C which resulted in deltaT=110.3C
(one of my questions is what is an easy and direct way to convert "CHANGE in temp" from F-C. Because the way I solved it was by assuming the Tinitial was 0F and Tfinal was 200F and I converted each of these to C and then subtracted.)
Second I used the formula once for height and once for width
deltaL(width)=60*9*10^-6*110.3=0.06cm=0.6mm
deltaL(height)=150*9*10^-6*110.3=0.15cm=1.5 mm

Is this correct

Physics news on Phys.org
**Mariam** said:

Homework Statement

An automobile windshield has the dimensions 60cm by 150 cm. What minimum tolerance is needed in mm to prevent the windshield from breaking if the temperature changes by 200F (the linear expansion coefficient of glass is 9*10^-6 C-1)

Homework Equations

deltaL=alpha*Li*deltaT
T(F)=1.8*T(C)+32

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changes the change in temperature from F to C which resulted in deltaT=110.3C
(one of my questions is what is an easy and direct way to convert "CHANGE in temp" from F-C. Because the way I solved it was by assuming the Tinitial was 0F and Tfinal was 200F and I converted each of these to C and then subtracted.)
Second I used the formula once for height and once for width
deltaL(width)=60*9*10^-6*110.3=0.06cm=0.6mm
deltaL(height)=150*9*10^-6*110.3=0.15cm=1.5 mm

Is this correct
Looks ok, but most windshields are wider than they are high.

Likes **Mariam**

1. How do you calculate the linear expansion of a windshield?

To calculate the linear expansion of a windshield, you will need to know the original length and the change in temperature. The formula for linear expansion is ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula to calculate the linear expansion of the windshield.

2. What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a measure of how much an object will expand or contract in length when exposed to a change in temperature. It is a constant value that is unique to each material and can be found in reference tables or calculated using the material's thermal properties.

3. How do you determine the change in temperature for a windshield?

To determine the change in temperature for a windshield, you will need to measure the initial temperature and the final temperature. The change in temperature is then calculated by subtracting the initial temperature from the final temperature. It is important to make sure that both temperatures are measured in the same unit (usually Celsius or Fahrenheit).

4. Can you use the same formula for different sizes of windshields?

Yes, the formula for calculating linear expansion can be used for any size of windshield as long as the length and temperature values are accurate. However, it is important to note that the coefficient of linear expansion may vary for different materials, so it is essential to use the correct value for the material of the windshield being measured.

5. Why is it important to calculate the linear expansion of a windshield?

Calculating the linear expansion of a windshield is important as it helps to predict how much the windshield will expand or contract when exposed to changes in temperature. This information is useful for designing and manufacturing windshields that can withstand temperature changes without breaking or cracking. It also helps to prevent potential accidents caused by a damaged windshield.