Ring and Sphere Linear Expansion

In summary, the aluminum sphere passes through the copper ring at equilibrium, losing heat to the surroundings. The mass of the sphere is 0.038 kg.
Haptic9504

Homework Statement

A 25.0 g copper ring at 0°C has an inner diameter of D = 2.71585 cm. A hollow aluminum sphere at 88.0°C has a diameter of d = 2.72019 cm. The sphere is placed on top of the ring (see the figure), and the two are allowed to come to thermal equilibrium, with no heat lost to the surroundings. The sphere just passes through the ring at the equilibrium temperature. What is the mass of the sphere? The linear expansion coefficient of aluminum is 23.0 × 10-6 /C°, the linear expansion coefficient of copper is 17.0 × 10-6 /C°, the specific heat of aluminum is 900 J/kg·K, and the specific heat of copper is 386 J/kg·K.

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c18/fig18_34.gif

Homework Equations

[tex]Q = cm \Delta T[/tex]
[tex]\Delta L = \alpha \Delta T L_{0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since at equilibrium the sphere passes through the right that would mean that d = D at equilibrium, being that the ring acquires heat and expands while the sphere loses heat and shrinks. I made [tex]L_{f}[/tex] be the final diameter of the two.
For the sphere: [tex]L_{f} - 2.72019 = (2.72019)(23E-6)(T_{f} - 88)[/tex]
For the ring: [tex]L_{f} - 2.71585 = (2.71585)(17E-6)(T_{f} - 0)[/tex]

Solved for Lf and set them equal, solving for T, getting 68.82 Celcius.
Heat lost by the sphere = Heat gained by ring.
[tex]cm \Delta T [sphere] = cm \Delta T [ring][/tex]
[tex](900)(m)(88 - 68.82) = (386)(0.025)(68.82)[/tex]
Solving for the mass, m, I get 0.038 kg, which is marked as incorrect.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, be it the whole approach or some minor thing I am overlooking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set-up looks good; double check the arithmetic, and if nothing shows up, holler, and I'll double check it.

I have gone over it a few times, keep getting the same answers. :(

I get 71.10 = Tf. You might try looking for places where you or your calculator might have rounded or truncated numbers on intermediate steps.

Sure enough, that was it. Leave it to my graphic calculator to lead me askew. Thanks!

1. What is ring and sphere linear expansion?

Ring and sphere linear expansion is a thermal expansion phenomenon that occurs when an object, such as a ring or a sphere, increases in size due to an increase in temperature. This is caused by the atoms within the object vibrating more rapidly, causing the object to expand.

2. How is ring and sphere linear expansion measured?

Ring and sphere linear expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of linear thermal expansion. This coefficient represents the change in length per unit length of the object for every degree Celsius change in temperature. It is usually denoted by the symbol α.

3. What factors affect ring and sphere linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear thermal expansion for a material is affected by factors such as the type of material, its temperature, and the presence of impurities. Additionally, the shape and size of the object can also play a role in its linear expansion.

4. How is ring and sphere linear expansion used in practical applications?

Ring and sphere linear expansion is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of bridges and buildings. By understanding how different materials expand and contract with temperature changes, engineers can account for these changes in their designs to prevent structural failure.

5. How does ring and sphere linear expansion differ from other types of thermal expansion?

Ring and sphere linear expansion is a type of one-dimensional thermal expansion, meaning it occurs in only one direction. This is in contrast to two-dimensional thermal expansion, which occurs in two directions (such as in a sheet of paper) or three-dimensional thermal expansion, which occurs in all three dimensions (such as in a cube).