Calculating Logs: Solving Log_{10}(1.8)

• Thread starter 3trQN
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate log_{10}(1.8), you can use the series expansion of ln(1+x) and substitute 0.8 for x. Then, divide the result by ln(10) to get the value of log_{10}(1.8). Additionally, there is a more useful series for ln, ln((1+x)/(1-x)), which can be used for any positive number by solving for x.
3trQN
How do i calculate [tex]log_{10}(1.8)[/tex] ?

I don't have a method for this kind of thing... I know that [tex]1.8 = 10^{x} [/tex]

Only thing i know to do is to use trial and error or possibly something akin to Hero's method for calculating roots.

Suggestions? My depth of logic is shallow indeed.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This doesn't answer your question, but why do you want to calculate it? There are tables to look up. Also any decent scientific hand calculator will have it as one of the functions.

There are series expressions for the natural log. To convert to the base 10, there is a constant multiplier - look it up.

I would just like to know how :)

There are series expressions for the natural log. To convert to the base 10, there is a constant multiplier - look it up.

Of course, silly me...

Plug it in the calculator, some serious sarcasm on my part because i know you want to know how to do it without one.

expand the series of [tex]\ln\left(1+x\right)[/tex] and then plug in 0.8 in place of x in that series. now you have the value of [tex]\ln\left(1.8)[/tex]. if you divide this by [tex]\ln\left(10)[/tex], you will get the value of [tex]\log_{10} (1.8)[/tex]

Yup, i had a doh moment as soon as mathman mentioned "series expansion"...

Thx.

A somewhat more useful series for ln is ln((1+x)/(1-x)). You can get the ln of any positive number, since the series converges for 0<x<1.

mathman, sorri if I am mistaken as i usualli am, being 14 and ignorant, but wen u sed it converges for 0<x<1, did u mean for (1+x)/(1-x). if u didnt, then how dus that give u the ln and any positive number?

mathman, sorri if I am mistaken as i usualli am, being 14 and ignorant, but wen u sed it converges for 0<x<1, did u mean for (1+x)/(1-x). if u didnt, then how dus that give u the ln and any positive number?

My mistake: should be -1<x<1. For 0<x<1, you can get any u>1, while for -1<x<0, you can get 0<u<1.

The formula is easily solved for x to get x=(u-1)/(u+1), and x will be in the required range as long as u>0.

Related to Calculating Logs: Solving Log_{10}(1.8)

1. What is the value of Log10(1.8)?

The value of Log10(1.8) is approximately 0.25527.

2. How do you calculate Log10(1.8)?

To calculate Log10(1.8), you can use a calculator or use the logarithmic formula Log10(x) = log(x) / log(10). In this case, Log10(1.8) = log(1.8) / log(10) = 0.25527.

3. What is the base of Log10(1.8)?

The base of Log10(1.8) is 10, because the subscript 10 indicates that it is a base 10 logarithm.

4. What is the inverse function of Log10(1.8)?

The inverse function of Log10(1.8) is 100.25527, which equals 1.8.

5. What is the domain and range of Log10(1.8)?

The domain of Log10(1.8) is all positive real numbers, because the logarithm function is only defined for positive values. The range is all real numbers, because the logarithm function can produce both positive and negative values.